Author Topic: Unnessessary invention  (Read 2196 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Unnessessary invention
« on: November 20, 2019, 15:31:17 »
Why can't I have a proper key for my new car? Silly keyless contraption. The only difference is you press a button instead of turning a key. Now I have had to get a couple of special pouches to put the keys in to stop any lowlifes stealing the car. You still press the fob to lock and unlock. I just cannot see the reasoning behind it. I bet they cost an arm and a leg to get a new one if it goes wrong. I am not amused about having to buy another car as the old economical diesel one will  be charged to go through Southampton soon on the route to and from the ferry.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Unnessessary invention
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 15:53:33 »
Gone French have you?  Renault seem to like that system.  We don't.

Currently looking for a new car too as our 6yr old diesel Zafira was wiped out by a car transporter whose driver was distracted and used our car and the ones in front as brakes.   Live in the country, never go to Paris so no emission zones to worry about - yet, know where to Park and Ride in Nantes, long way from electric car charging points, eco-tax on cars set to take a hike up in January so having to decide quickly

Petrol/diesel/hybrid?  New/nearly new/2nd hand?  Little runabout or another one big enough to get the dogs and the suitcases in when we go on hols?  T'other car is nearly 12 years old....

Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 16:37:15 »
If /when my car dies if I can't find a car that doesn't talk to me ... as OH's does I'm not going to buy another.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 18:40:56 »
I hadn't heard about the Southampton charges but when I started to look it up I came across thisdatedJan 2019:

"Southampton City Council has confirmed to AirQualityNews.com that they will not charge high polluting vehicles to enter the city, as they publish a report outlining measures to tackle air pollution.

The local authority was instructed by the government to submit proposals that address exceedances of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) air pollution limits on roads within the city, and the council said last year that they favoured a ‘Class B CAZ’, which would have seen buses, coaches and heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) below the Euro VI emissions standard, charged up to £100 per day to enter the zone.

However, following a public consultation, the council has decided against introducing the charge and has instead proposed other measures aimed at curbing emissions ahead of a council scrutiny committee on the Clean Air Zone"

Have they changed their minds again?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 19:42:57 »
I have a mate behind the scenes, don't believe the spiel they try and sell you. Now Bristol have set a precedent quite a few other towns and cities will not be far behind in using the clean air excuse to top up their coffers. I lot of us will not use the Bristol Caravan Club site now as it is right in the middle of the zone and most motorhomes and tow cars are diesels. I shall have to clog up the roads in the new forest to get mine off of the island. I know something has got to be done but clouting the motorist every time is getting tedious. Most of Southampton's problems come from the liners that have engines running to run the 'small towns' on each of them, it has become against the law to leave your engine idling but the ships can get away with it instead of paying for a hookup.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 23:38:44 »
Yup. It's a muddle.

Diesels are good because they are more efficient and you get far more miles for every kilo of co2. Good thing.

But diesels are bad because they churn out lots of noxes and particulates that choke kids, and asthmatics and are pretty bad for all of us. Bad thing.

But diesels can be fitted with good particle traps and catalytic converters. So actually they are fine if properly built. Good.

But the car manufacturers fiddle the tests so in fact they are anything but fine. Bad.

So they get banned from inner city zones. Good thing.

But users double their carbon footprint by driving miles out of their way to avoid the zones. Not good.

You would think the government might try to devise some sensible policies.  Fat chance. More important to be building fake facts web sites.  Cars run on pixie dust. TRUE.

Journalist: That doesn't sound right. Are you sure that is true.

Politician: Absolutely true. It's on a fact check web site.

Politician:. And if you ask me the again in 20 minutes I will deny ever having said that.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 08:53:24 »
Air transport is being supported by government  policies and cruises are allowed to use the worse form of oil.

At the same time a study had said that asthma inhalers are contributing to climate change.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 20:09:02 »
At the same time a study had said that asthma inhalers are contributing to climate change.

True, they contribute but only a tiny amount. Not that you'd know that from the newspaper headlines. It's the modern approach to propaganda.  Lie, lie and lie again. It doesn't matter if you are shown to be wrong. Ignore that. Never retreat, never apologize, never retract, just repeat the lie and move on to the next lie.

Climate change isn't happening, vaccines don't work, crystals can cure migraine, the judiciary are traitors, the earth is flat, the moon landings were a hoax, there are no endangered species, sea levels are not rising, GM foods damage your digestive system, fracking does not cause earth tremors and more and more and more.   The individual topic has ceased to matter. It is the overwhelming torrent of misinformation that matters. Spread fear uncertainty and doubt, until finally

Nothing is knownEverything is open doubt.

And when you have that, all broad consensus will be gone, and any public restraint on business and political activity will be greatly reduced. Divided and confused with numerous conflicting views about everything there will be no collective voice to ever say "No this is not acceptable"

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 20:55:52 »
I can remember minis having a push button starter.  I had a morris minor where you pulled a thingy to start - what a sexy car - and if it wouldn't start on a cold day a couple of turns with the crank handle normally did the trick. 

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 21:35:55 »
A crank handle?

My word! You are older than I thought!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 06:19:03 »
A crank handle?

That just reminded me of an old cement mixer I had to start every morning. That was diesel, you lit up an oily rag and stuffed it in near the fuel pipes then cranked like mad until it started with bangs pops and a cloud of smoke. An old boy stopped to watch one day as I was winding away and shouted 'That hurdy gurdy is useless I don't go much on the tune and your bloody monkey's on fire'

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 06:29:06 »
And, and,  and  sensational headlines and false news especially on the internet is all down to selling advertising. Click bait so the purveyors of such rubbish can claim X amounts of hits and sell advertising space at a premium.

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 10:46:41 »
This is how you do it for youngsters like Beersmith

https://youtu.be/BjLiGqC_YsI

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 11:08:15 »
Loved it and remember it well!

Did you notice how much space you had in the engine compartment to get at the bits and pieces? Unlike today where is is ram jammed full of all sorts of gubbins.

It is because of all these extra bits I gave up servicing my own car as generally I hadn't a clue as to what all these extra bits did!

Sometimes I think they are in there to go purposely go wrong so that the "experts" can extract some more money from you! :BangHead: :drunken_smilie:

Seeing all this reminded me of something I learned last winter and that was to think twice before you do your " Good Samaritan" bit of " jump starting" someones car!

Apparently the exercise can severely damage YOUR car's computerised mechanisms as they reacts to the electrics of the third party's electrics.

To put it into computer language your car's computer crashes and it is you that can be left stranded plus you may face a hefty bill to get up and running again!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 11:21:11 »
It's got so stupid under car bonnets that you can't even change your own lightbulbs..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal