Author Topic: Watering raspberries and gooseberry bushes after planting  (Read 1238 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Watering raspberries and gooseberry bushes after planting
« on: November 19, 2019, 12:27:09 »
On Saturday I did my magic spell to stop rain - I planted something and as usual all rain has stopped.
I planted raspberries and moved some gooseberries.  I wanted them on Sunday and had soaked them before planting.
Should I do water them for a few days as it is not raining?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Watering raspberries and gooseberry bushes after planting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 15:18:17 »
soaked them before planting.

If they were " bare rooted" and quite dry when you got them then what you did (IMHO) was correct!

Should I do water them for a few days as it is not raining?

I would have given them a good soaking immediately after back-filling the hole after planting the canes!

I always think that this washes fine soil in between the roots thus avoiding any voids, meaning all of the roots are in contact with the soil.

As you haven't done this, then I would suggest you do it asap.

Having said that based on the hard frost we got last night, I would wait until you are sure there is not going to be a frost the night you do it!

As an insurance you could add a mulch immediately after watering and this should offer a bit of protection!

So to sum up; Play to the weather!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 15:22:37 »
A very thorough and helpful reply as always TeeGee... leaves me nothing to add...

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 22:51:48 »
Plenty of good advice above.

However, once they are all settled in, do not be tempted to keep watering.  Raspberries do not like being waterlogged, especially during winter.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 23:00:43 »
However, once they are all settled in, do not be tempted to keep watering.  Raspberries do not like being waterlogged, especially during winter.

Agreed!

Other than at planting out time I can't recall ever having to water my raspberries!

With all the rain we have had of late I guess the soil will be damp enough and because we are going into the winter months it is unlikely that the moisture will evaporate?

The watering procedure I discussed above should last until the warm weather arrives again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal