Author Topic: Which Potaoes?  (Read 2173 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Which Potaoes?
« on: November 10, 2019, 13:16:20 »
Hi All, I am considering trying some different varieties of potato this season. I usually grow Maris bard and still will. I am  looking for a baking potato. or a good all rounder. I did go on a web site to see but there are so many I don't know what to choose. I am on sandy free draining soil but like to hear of any recommendations from yourselves. I am considering Cara and Kestrel also Desiree. We had a bad blight year last season so any input from you would be welcome. Thankyou

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Which Potaoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 13:55:14 »
Kestrel would be my choice for a number of reasons e.g it is a 2nd Early that will keep in the ground until the main crop is ready, they can grow quite large and if you are into exhibiting it is a good show bench variety!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 15:07:19 »
Kestrel also seems to have a significant degree of slug resistance which is why I grow it (45 plants this season, just two or three eaten potatoes). I also grow only other first or second earlies (Charlotte, Swift, Rocket variously) in the hope that they will be ahead of the slug armies. I also prefer earlies in the hope that they get to do their stuff before the main blight season arrives.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 15:24:37 »
I had a wonderful crop from Charlotte this year even though I had to lift early because of blight. No slug trouble, they are keeping really well, the only slight downside is they are rather an odd shape for a baked potato....I'm certainly growing them next year along with my usual Pentland Javelins.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 20:32:04 »
I don't grow many potatoes and am no expert but my favourite is Lady Christl as I can harvest them as baby salad, then as new potatoes then if left in the ground they grow very big but still make good saute potatoes so useful if you cant get to the plot at the right time.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:04:14 »
Another fan of Charlotte here.. heavy clay rather than your light and sandy... never had much success with varieties pushed as bakers.. as either the blight or slugs get them so stick to early mains. Desiree and Picasso are my main choices for larger potatoes but my standby Red Dukes have made some very large tubers in the recent wet summers.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 21:11:56 »
For the past few years I have grown Wilja for a second early and about 20-25 Sarpo Mira as a maincrop.   I find the Sarpo very resistant and they keep really well.   They are also very versatile.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 22:40:31 »
Kestrel, Charlotte very nice and reliable.  Also tried Winston this year which makes great fluffy roasters.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:48:30 »
Wasn't particularly impressed when I tried the Sarpos, about a decade ago... may try a row this time, Winston has certainly been on my possibility list for some time too!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:35 »
Sarpo Mira stand really well through blight and will produce a huge crop under the right conditions.  My plants were over 6ft tall (well wide!) this year.  Maybe not the best overall spud but you do get some nice big ones for baking and IMHO is a good all rounder.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal