Author Topic: Look on the bright side  (Read 2549 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Look on the bright side
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:00 »
100 mph winds, horizontal rain, = a firework free day, the dogs are happy.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: Look on the bright side
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:06:43 »
Totally agree .

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:20:13 »
No wind, no rain, sunshine. Fireworks last night. Cats did not even flick their ears.
Gardening is the great leveller.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 18:19:10 »
no wind here but rained since 11 this morning did see the weather was going to be bad on the IOW so guessed you would have a very windy day I hope your allotment is okay
Barnsley S Yorks

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 18:44:00 »
I'll find out tomorrow wind peaked at 109mph (force 12 on the wheelie bin scale) on the south of the island. Trees down everywhere and no ferries for a while. We where supposed to be performing for the carnival fireworks event at Sandown Bay but they had to cancel and the promenade  was closed anyway when a building started falling apart.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 20:13:05 »
I'll find out tomorrow wind peaked at 109mph (force 12 on the wheelie bin scale) on the south of the island. Trees down everywhere and no ferries for a while. We where supposed to be performing for the carnival fireworks event at Sandown Bay but they had to cancel and the promenade  was closed anyway when a building started falling apart.

Wow, that would blow the cob webs away!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 20:22:38 »
109 mph is not nice. I know we used to live on the Welsh coast and often got winds like that. We had to have armour plate glass in the front windows of the Hotel.
Gardening is the great leveller.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 21:26:52 »
From the BBC website:" The National Coastwatch Institution at The Needles on the Isle of Wight said winds of 109.4mph had been recorded."

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 08:26:43 »
Well even with all the weather going on somebody thought it was a good idea to have their fireworks, but it was nearly eleven oclock.  It did not go on long as I have just found out the police were called to his neighbour who went out and threatened to shove them up his backside if it did not stop, cheered on by a few others I expect.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:35:43 »
Allotment good, shed and poly still there. Cabbage netting came off, but it is only draped over now the plants are quite high. An empty dalek went walkabout  but somebody brought it back. You can't get rid of them can you. I suppose it is a handy rhubarb forcer though.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 12:08:36 »
Well even with all the weather going on somebody thought it was a good idea to have their fireworks, but it was nearly eleven oclock.  It did not go on long as I have just found out the police were called to his neighbour who went out and threatened to shove them up his backside if it did not stop, cheered on by a few others I expect.

An understandable reaction. I used to enjoy them on the actual night, in the days when you made a comment if they carried on afte 9 pm. 
17 years with adog who was petrified and them going on nightly for months converted me to a hater.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 13:45:09 »
Hate fireworks too - so bad for wildlife and pets and intrusive if let off night after night and with no care or consideration.  Time to ban them for sale to all but professionals running public displays.

Same for me with balloon releases which are also really bad fr wildlife as they end up strangling, throttling, choaking or otherwise damaging unwitting creatures of all shapes and sizes.

It's been a wild and woolly night here too but my new anti-cough medicine mad sure I slept thru 11 jours of it.  Lots of half bare trees today and they were still full and mostly green yesterday.
Obxx - Vendée France

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 16:42:29 »
Its strange but not even a breeze here in S Yorks the last 2 days,  at one time it was always the north that got the worst weather (not that I am complaining)
Barnsley S Yorks

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 08:43:18 »
Still got a few spuds to get out and it’s Raining in Notts.but I’m happy if keeps the the fireworks silent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:47:05 by Froglegs »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 12:14:44 »
Nipping out for a Cauli and some carrots in the next break between showers...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:22 »
Still got a few spuds to get out
Still got a few spuds to get out

Did you see that lovely crop of autumn spuds on countryfile. They make Vodka out of them. I'll have to watch it again and see what variety they were. Not for the vodka, but they looked like a good yielding spud. Well that's it another Guy Fawkes night over with, the usual seasonal 'let's ban them brigade'  who will now keep quiet until next November, although they might pop up for a few days when the clocks change. Hurray no more fireworks. I won't hold my breath.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal