Author Topic: Cherry Espalier  (Read 2115 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Cherry Espalier
« on: October 27, 2019, 00:01:57 »
Inherited a dinky fan-trained cherry tree, Prunus avium 'Sunburst'. It's looking very sad with dead tips and I would like to remedy that fact. Can anyone share some advice on how to care for this type of trained tree, especially regarding pruning?

Thanks in advance.

pumkinlover

Re: Cherry Espalier
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:16:27 »
I understand from GQT that cherries are not the best at being trained in espaliers, not sure about fan.
Can't decide from your post which it is though?

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 17:00:46 »
Sorry it's a fan-trained cherry, not espalier.  :tongue3:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 20:08:57 »
I think there was a bit about cherry picking on country file back in the summer, shoehorned in between the fund raising, cooking and photographs so it was not much. But they were picking very carefully so as not to damage next years fruiting spur. That makes me think that  fruiting cherries do not really lend themselves to shaping etc. Alright if you want a nice shaped shrub/tree but not much good if you want  a few cherries for your cocktails.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 08:18:22 »
Sunburst is a good dessert variety, I have one but not "trained"... fan makes sense but I wouldn't prune at this time of year because of the risk of silver leaf.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 17:08:39 »
I’m hoping that fan training will work with cherries as thats my plan with one i have just brought. Ive seen them growing at Wisley and certainly the RHS talk about how to grow them that way. That would be a good place to look for information Vetivert but as Saddad said its the wrong time for pruning at the moment.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 18:41:28 »
The RHS publication. "Growing Fruit" was first published in 1980. Written by Harry Baker it is an excellent book, and has a clear and helpful section on exactly this topic.  It is illustrated by drawings rather than photographs but is none the worse for that. 

The good news seems to be that pruning cherry trees as a fan shape seems perfectly viable, although usually where growing against a wall and not out in the open.

There is too much for me to reproduce here, and it starts with a maiden tree so not exactly applicable to one that has already had some pruning.  Key points though are always prune in spring. Pruning is fairly harsh cutting the maiden tree back to just two strong laterals tied at 35 degrees to the horizontal.  Take out the central stem just above the uppermost lateral.  Second spring shorten each leader to about 12 inches.   By the third spring you should have perhaps 6 to 9 well spaced leaders. Cut these back to about 24 inches. By now the main shaping is over and in future years prune as an established tree.

Now an observation of my own. Cherry trees can be very vigorous and forty years ago dwarfing rootstocks were rare.  So the book mentioned above was written from that perspective. Once in a permanent position, and well cared for, your tree should not remain "dinky," and sad for long. I would be inclined to get it planted over winter, and do nothing next spring.  Give it a year to get well established and then get your pruning program going the following spring.

In the meantime see if you can discover which rootstock is being used, and try to pick up a second hand copy of the above book.  It's a gem, even though it doesn't include some of the most modern varieties. I'd not part with my copy for a £1,000.

P.S. A £1,000 did I say?  Well go on then!

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 22:39:52 »
On reflection it is rather important to find out the rootstock. On Gisela 5/6 or Krymsk 5/6 or Weigi 1/2 the tree will small or smallish - not tiny by any means but manageable. On the most dwarfing types it may need staking and a bit of extra care in the form of feeding and watering, especially when young. On a colt or other rootstock it is going to produce a pretty large mature tree potentially up to 20 feet high perhaps even higher.

I think sunburst is self fertile - others may confirm - which is a big plus. No need for a pollinator.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 07:34:02 »
I have a "Summer Sun" next to mine for a longer cropping season, but fairly certain they are self fertile.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 17:50:25 »
Thanks for the info everyone. For some context: I moved over to a abandoned allotment plot near me and it was there waiting. This allotment's previous tenant planted it in summer 2018 if I recall correctly. It was remarkable as it seems to be the only thing they did there. A bijou fan cherry in the wilderness. So it has had to contend with large weeds and tall grass and no watering. It's about a metre tall and out in the open. The label doesn't state what rootstock was used. It has a few leaves left on one side and some of the growing tips are dead and hollow. The salty south-westerly bombardment might have done this. As you say, it is self-fertile.
I'll heed the advice given here and not prune next year. It will be moved to a more appropriate position this winter and be indulged over the next growing season. I suppose the condition of the roots will be telling.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal