Produce > Edible Plants

garlic

<< < (6/7) > >>

Obelixx:
Thanks both.   There is a limited range on sale in shops here so I may have to try ordering online for next year's crop after researching varieties.

I have now harvested all the garlic and dried it and stored it.  Some lovely fat bulbs again and some much smaller and some with bulbs forming up the stems which is not something I've had before.  Clearly lots to learn.

gray1720:
I've been growing the stuff for years, and have had some fabulous crops and some stinkers* (last year - up to my tits, eating it until the last cloves dried to nothing - this year, square root of bugger all!), so I feel a bit of a wally asking this but here goes.

From somewhere I picked up the idea that garlic likes a fairly low-nutrient soil so every year I plant it where my spuds have just come out of - with the added advantage that that is usually the first ground that is clear to cultivate. However looking at destructions for the work gardening club (we have a little "town plot" - basically a glorified raised bed), I keep being told it likes fertile soil.

So (a) where did I get that idea from? (b) am I starving the poor stuff by making it follow nutrient sponges like spuds? and (c) what do I do now? I have ground that's been rather more fallow than intended this year that it could go on, but I need to clear and dig that first, whereas what I have clear and dug has hosted spuds and pumpkins - equally awkward!

Advice, anecdotes, general garlic chit-chat welcomed!

*No pun intended.

Tee Gee:
I would say; like onions they want nitrogen feed until they start swelling, then potash after that.

Added to that I didn't weed them after they begun to swell as I rightly, or wrongly, thought the weeds took up any surplus nitrogen in the soil.

Then there were some who would say I was just too  bl**dy lazy for not weeding.

To sum up I was always happy with might crop!

gray1720:
I cannot imagine the Great Tee Gee ever being lazy. Using time intelligently, now that's a different matter!

I shall hang on until we get some muck, then, and stir in a soupcon before I plant. Dunno about potash, I'll think of something.

Tee Gee:
potash=Tomato feed or similar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version