Produce > Edible Plants

garlic

<< < (5/7) > >>

Obelixx:
Thanks JanG.  I have no idea whether it's soft or hard neck.  I shall have to try and find the label and look it up.   

Tiny Clanger:
Hi Obelix, We are in sunny North Warwickshire.  My garlic is starting to die back on the outermost leaves.  I will wait until the outer leaves have died right back.  The rest of the leaves will probably still be green.  So looks like I will be waiting to harvest end of June earliest.  Hopefully the weather will be good enough to dry the garlic off outside.  :wave:

Obelixx:
Back again.  I've just been out harvesting some more  of the garlic and hanging it to dry on a Tee Gee inspired system of wires across a wooden pallet on a table base.   I harvested some a couple of weeks ago but ran out of time before a 10 day trip to Namur and that was small but well formed and has dried nicely.

The rain last week has helped fatten some of the bulbs I harvested today but others are very small, tho firm, and some have "bulbs" forming higher up the stem. 

Is this due to a problem with cultivation?  weather?  variety?   How can I improve my crop next year?   I do rotation, use home-made compost and pelleted chicken manure to replenish the soil between every crop and we haven't been short of rain this year except in April when it was also cold.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on May 29, 2021, 08:44:45 ---Thanks JanG.  I have no idea whether it's soft or hard neck.  I shall have to try and find the label and look it up.

--- End quote ---

There is a good possibility you could tell them apart simply by observing the bulbs and how they have grown. Hardneck does literally have a solid central neck, usually producing a scape. Softneck doesn't.

The books suggest hardneck has better tolerance to cold, has a slightly better flavour and bigger cloves, whereas softneck keeps better. I've always found the differences to be fairly marginal.

JanG:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on June 27, 2021, 15:29:26 ---

The rain last week has helped fatten some of the bulbs I harvested today but others are very small, tho firm, and some have "bulbs" forming higher up the stem. 

Is this due to a problem with cultivation?  weather?  variety?   How can I improve my crop next year?   I do rotation, use home-made compost and pelleted chicken manure to replenish the soil between every crop and we haven't been short of rain this year except in April when it was also cold.

--- End quote ---

I think bulbils forming up the stem is fairly normal and some varieties are more prone to it than others.

I’ve had a bit of a garlic thing this year and grown quite a lot of different varieties. And I would say variety does make quite a difference. For example, one variety I grew was Iberian Wight and the plants and resulting bulbs were very large and impressive growing side by side with other much smaller varieties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version