Author Topic: garlic  (Read 15789 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
garlic
« on: October 23, 2019, 18:35:49 »
Having problems finding garlic bulbs this year. Think Wilko have stopped selling them. I believe Dobbies have a good selection but nearest store is 20 miles. Any suggestions?

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 20:45:18 »
If you aren't averse to ordering online or mail order, Kings Seeds has a decent selection. I plan on ordering mine from there.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:49:41 »
Try This.  https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Onions-Garlic-1/
I've just received 2 bulbs of Extra Early Wight, and look lovely large plump bulbs.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:01:14 »
Our local Wilko's has garlic for sale but the bulbs are tiny . I would not buy them. Remember the bigger the clove the bigger the final bulb. I save my own biggest bulbs from this years crop to set in fact yesterday I set 200 including 30 elephant garlic . The elephant garlic alone would have cost me £45 . Try D.T. Brown, T & M, Suttons, the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm take your pick.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:57 »
I buy online from Tamar Organic as they stock "Sprint" my preferred variety which the bigger suppliers don't have. They also have seed varieties (like butternut "Tiana") that I don't see elsewhere.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:34:21 »
I was surprised to read Charles Dowding suggesting "even use supermarket garlic".

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 09:34:49 »
I was surprised to read Charles Dowding suggesting "even use supermarket garlic".

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 12:45:17 »

Why?

This is what I will be planting out within the next couple of days!

I do this every two or three years  and it generally works out quite well.

Then next year I will save the best of the bulbs for the following season (subject to the quality of the bulbs) as I have done here with the Elephant Garlic

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 00:02:58 »
I am lucky. I have a nearby workers cooperative that sells large bulbs at 3 for £2. Choice of varieties including hard and soft kneck.  Many of the main seed suppliers prices are much more expensive.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 17:56:06 »
I bought mine from the Charlton Park nursery in Wantage, on the off chance you might be nearby. Four nice bulbs for little more than the cost of one from IoW. Noow if it would just stop raining enough to let me get the d**n things in...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 20:35:31 »
Got mine from Franchi this year, thought I'd give them a go as their seeds are very reliable.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 08:43:00 »
I found a nice selection of Garlic on eBay..

"Garlic bulbs - 9 islands collection. This is a collection of 9 garlic bulbs personally collected by me from various Mediterranean and Atlantic islands and grown on in UK. These include Greece, Menorca, Majorca, Corsica, Cyprus, canary islands and Azores."

Interesting and fun to grow different varieties than you would normally find..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 12:23:10 »
I got mine last autumn from Kings - they had a special on.  I tend to plant in October and the garlic is well up now.  Kings give discount to the individual who has an allotment as well as buying through your allotment association.  Check on line. There are quite a few suppliers.  Franchi's stuff is pricey but reliable.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 12:56:18 »
here a link for garlic bulbs  https://www.levenvanhetland.nl/knoflook/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 14:42:02 »
I have a harvesting question.   I planted garlic in December and it has done well so far.  The foliage is starting to turn brown at the top.

I have now removed the insect netting from the hoops - put on to keep the chooks off the beds while it grew - so the sun can get to it and ripen the bulbs.   last year we had a heatwave and drought all thru April and May and the harvest was poor.  I'd like to do better this year.

How brown should the foliage and stem be before I harvest it?  I don't want to let it get so far it doesn't store well as I've planted double quantities this year.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 20:56:38 »
One for the experts. The drivers for me are to get it up before rust and white rot set in and to clear space for the succession planting!

But given where you are, I'd have thought you could get it up as soon as it starts dying back because the bulbs aren't going to do any more and you have the weather to dry them off?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 21:02:27 »
Thanks but today has been the first warm, dry shorts day of the year and this is a brand new veg plot on former pasture so no rust or white rot - yet.

Last year's early heat and drought meant the garlic and onion harvest were poor and didn't store well.   I'd quite like fatter bulbs this year. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 21:14:52 »
Won't it be the rain that you've had that has been helping the bulbs swell, but if the foliage is now dying off, they are not going to do much more? But you are not going to lose anything by leaving them where they are if disease is not an issue?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 22:01:17 »
Dunno.  I'm a novice at garlic cos in my last garden - rural central Belgium - it was always frozen to a mush in hard winters and I gave up.

The first year I grew it here it was wonderful.  The next year was last year and it and the onion crop were hit by that early heat and drought so I really have no sensible comparisons.
Obxx - Vendée France

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 05:56:21 »
I’ve been looking into this too, and advice seems to vary somewhat. It seems to be a question of how many bottom leaves die off. I’ve seen suggestions that it could be up to half, with five or six having gone brown and five or six at the top still remaining green. Other sources say that it’s best to let only two bottom leaves die and pick when the third is dying down.

I don’t know what to make of foliage going brown at the top, as advice seems to concentrate on lower leaves dying, as these correspond with the bulb wrappers below ground.

With hardneck garlic I believe the idea is to harvest about a month after the scapes appear but I assume this is softneck garlic you’re wondering about.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal