Author Topic: Spuds  (Read 1347 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Spuds
« on: October 17, 2019, 22:57:22 »
Anyone still got spuds in the ground,I’ve got 4 short rows still to get up....

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Spuds
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:14:02 »
I have some in the ground, an experiment for xmas spuds. I think they will turn into Halloween spuds now as they have come on too quick. I read that after the tops die down they can still keep getting bigger underground. So I am going to dig them up next week apart from two plants which will be mulched to keep them warm and if the slugs have left me any I will dig the others up mid December.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:33:46 »
Hi ya, I have considered leaving spuds in the ground for xmas so will be well interested in your efforts. I am growing some second earlies in the greenhouse in a bag. I have never been that successful previously but keep trying. I left some 1st earlies in the ground and lifted them a month or more later as I cut the tops of due to blight. I was quite impressed as they tasted better and indeed were slightly bigger. Good luck

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 19:33:39 »
I’d like to leave a few in for Christmas but me thinks the slugs will beat me to them...so will dig them up in the week ahead all being well with the weather.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 17:52:48 »
I had some in the ground on the 17th, but hoiked them all out yesterday and have then racked up under sacks to hopefully dry a bit while we find space to store the things!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:39:13 »
I found a short row of Carlingford where I had dumped muck on a very wet day in August... obviously interrupted half way through the job!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal