Author Topic: Romano potatoes  (Read 2012 times)

pumkinlover

Romano potatoes
« on: December 03, 2019, 17:53:50 »
Chatting to another allotmenteer today and we got onto discussing Romano tatties.

I buy my potatoes from the Chesterfield potato day and they haven't sold them for a long time, as they can't provide every variety so I never thought much about it. However the other gardener said that he had tried to buy them in other places and they wern't available.
A quick Google has lots of recipies which mention them but none for sale (Google anything these days and you normally get adverts rather than information)

JBA don't list them not T and M so I thought I would ask on here if anyone knows what or why? I thought they were good potatoes but it must be years since I last grew them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Romano potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:56:58 »
I note that a few places have them advertised but are out of stock - maybe they will stock up in the new year??
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:23 »
That happens with a lot of new varieties... they have their moment in the sun and then fade away... shame really.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:16 »
That happens with a lot of new varieties... they have their moment in the sun and then fade away... shame really.

Is it a "new variety" then Saddad, I don't know much about it and can't remember how long it was available for.
There's a potato database somewhere IIRC.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:03:39 »
Agrico is listed as the agent.  Maybe enquire with them. 

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/organisations/view/Agrico%20UK%20Ltd

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:48:15 »
All varieties are new at some point... according to the "story of the potato" book on my shelf it was introduced in 1978... very few varieties last 40+ years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal