Produce > Non Edible Plants

Sweet peas

<< < (3/6) > >>

cudsey:
I will do Plotstoeat have not been to lottie as it has been pouring with rain and very windy so hopefully I will check them at weekend

George the Pigman:
I usually sow mine in November in a cold greenhouse then plant them out in early Spring. They grow OK but seem to finish flowering and die out early round about mid summer. despite regular dead heading.
 Should I be succession sowing?

saddad:
I've tried it, and sometimes when the weather is favourable, you can get an extra moth to six weeks of flowering but the struggle with mildew can be an issue.  :wave:

plotstoeat:

--- Quote from: George the Pigman on November 14, 2019, 19:49:20 ---I usually sow mine in November in a cold greenhouse then plant them out in early Spring. They grow OK but seem to finish flowering and die out early round about mid summer. despite regular dead heading.
 Should I be succession sowing?

--- End quote ---
Yes mine finish early too. Have tried sowing more in the Spring with very poor results.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---Yes mine finish early too.
--- End quote ---

Do you dead head your plants?

Sweet Peas are notorious for stopping flowering if you don't!

Its as if they have decided that their job is done once they have produced their seed!

So I find stopping their seed production makes them produce more flowers for longer! i.e. their job is not done!           

--- Quote ---Have tried sowing more in the Spring with very poor results.
--- End quote ---

I always sow in the 2nd or 3rd week in January on a little bottom heat (as I have a hot bed) but indoors I would imagine should be OK, they might just take a few days longer to germinate!

I have also found that chitting them sometimes helps as they are then not sitting in relatively cold damp soil conditions. i.e. they are subject to the ambient temperature of the room!

If doing it this way I just give them a daily squirt with a spray gun of water again at room temperature!

This softens the hard coating and they seem to germinate quicker!

Another advantage of this is you only need pot up the ones that have chitted!

Then again the main reason I sow in spring is: I don't have to look after them for the 3 to 4 months as I would if I  sowed them around October time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version