Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 2723 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Raspberries
« on: September 22, 2019, 05:31:28 »
Having recently taken on a second plot I am now planning what I will put in it.  Raspberries are a firm favourite with my children and grandchildren as well as with my wife and myself.  I have a couple of ten-foot long rows on my old plot but these were inherited and seem to be of mixed varieties.  I would like two new rows on the new plot - autumn-fruiting and flavour being the main considerations.  Yes, I have lots of catalogues but they are all pushing their own favourites.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My soil is in decent condition after a few weeks of work, it is well-drained and manured.

Thanks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:44:18 »
My vote would be for Joan J - huge juicy fruits from July through to first frosts.

Tricia  :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 12:24:01 »
Joan J is recommended by the RHS if you want to try double cropping of autumn raspberries - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=148

We grew autumn bliss in our Belgian plot and it coped very well with the wetaher conditions which could be pretty extreme in winter.  Good flavour, good crops, easy to manage.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 16:02:09 »
Joan J.

The raspberries with RHS AGM are:

09 ‘All Gold’ (H6)
93 ‘Autumn Bliss’ (D) (H6)
00 ‘Glen Ample’ (D) (H6)
09 ‘Glen Magna’ (D) (H6)
09 ‘Joan J’ (H6)
93 ‘Malling Admiral’ (D) (H6)
93 ‘Malling Jewel’ (D) (H6)
09 ‘Polka’ (H6)
09 ‘Tulameen’ (H6)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 21:05:55 »
I have Autumn Bliss and All Gold and both are very dependable.. Joan J is easier to find now than Autumn Bliss (one of it's parents I think) but I'm not convinced it is an improvement in a garden/allotment setting.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 09:35:03 »
My personal recommendation would be Joan J.  But Paulh put up a list in response to your question and to be honest if you chose any of those I am sure you would not be disappointed. They all have the basic attributes you are looking for, being autumn fruiting, productive and good flavoured. The RHS award of gardening merit is only given to varieties that are thoroughly deserving. After that it is very much down to personal taste, as even tiny differences in sweetness, acidity and flavour can suit one person's palate rather than another's.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 11:59:32 »
My recommendation would be Joan J too, they are lovely to eat on their own and also make the best raspberry jam, they have a long fruiting period, just keep coming.  Mine have been in a good 10 years now and are still amazing :)

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 21:31:03 »
Another vote for Joan J! Big fruits over a long time

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal