Author Topic: Elephants in the Fuschias  (Read 3129 times)

Pescador

• Hectare
Elephants in the Fuschias
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:02 »
I could have put this post in Pests and Diseases, but something this beautiful doesn't deserve to be called a pest. They can chomp my Fuschias any day!

I went to water the bedding pots outside the front door, and look who was staring back at me!!!
There were 3 of them just 20cm apart
Elephant Hawk Moth larvae. Deilephila elpenor.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Elephants in the Fuschias
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:01 »
Yes ! What a beautiful creature !   :sunny:  Thankyou for sharing your magic moment   :sunny: Debbie  :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 19:22:51 »
Wonderful! I'm with you (like Mullein Moth on my mullein) - they can chomp what they like. I once had the pleasure of watching one unfold as it emerged from its pupa - beautiful things!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Doug Kelson

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 19:51:47 »
During the coming summer, you may find that too many Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillers are destroying a much-loved and valued Fuschia. It is possible to relocate all or some of these amazing but very hungry caterpillers. Obviously, Fuschias (from south America) are not the natural food of the caterpillers. They may be gently picked off the Fuschias at night, which is when they climb to feed, and transferred to plants in the willowherb family. If you can locate patches of the very common Rosebay Willowherb (Chamerion angustifolium) often found along roadsides or on waste ground or (even better) Great Willowherb (Epilobium hirsutum) often found beside canals or in damp areas, The caterpillers can be tucked in amongst the bases of the plants and at night they will climb to feed on their natural food.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal