Author Topic: Chilli Peppers not very hot  (Read 1308 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Chilli Peppers not very hot
« on: September 05, 2019, 18:45:28 »
I grew some Hungarian Black Chillies and some Birds Eye Chillies this year I have tried them and the Hungarian Black is only very mildly hot and the Bird Eye (which is the Piri Piri pepper) is nowhere near as hot as I expected. I've never grown them before. Will they get hotter as they grow or is it growth conditions.

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Chilli Peppers not very hot
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 19:28:25 »
The longer they're left on the plant, the hotter they'll become.
I believe that growing conditions will also effect the taste, the higher the temperature, the hotter the flavour.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 15:43:06 »
We sometimes treat ourselves to an Indian takeaway and OH always gives me his chilis from his dishes.  He likes dishes with a bit of heat, but does not want to "risk" biting into the actual chilis.

Now these are always the same chilis of the same type that the restaurant uses and they always look the same.  But some are barely hot, others are really potent.  For many reasons, the same peppers on the same plant or the same type can be more or less hot.

I love cooking with my home grown chilis too.  OH has "limited" me to half a chili per dish.  Which sometimes is quite hot and at other times barely "warm".  There are big differences.  :wave:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:15:35 »
i think those chillis are padron peppers
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padrón_peppers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal