Author Topic: Mulberry Dwarf Bush - Charlotte Russe  (Read 2386 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Mulberry Dwarf Bush - Charlotte Russe
« on: August 29, 2019, 11:20:00 »
According to the blurb
"The Mulberry Bush - Hard to find the fruits in supermarkets, you can have all the joys of growing your own mulberries without the hassle of keeping a large tree. With heights reaching 8 metres, many people don't have the space for a mulberry tree.

This dwarf, compact variety only reaches a height of approximately 1.5m (compared to normal mulberries that can reach up to 8m in height), making it suitable for any garden. It’s self-pollinating, fully hardy and fruits on both old and new wood, meaning you can be picking mulberries within the first year as opposed to the usual 8 or 9 years it takes most other mulberries."
https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Fruit/Soft-Fruit/All-Soft-Fruit/Mulberry---Charlotte-Russe-5Ltr_MH5436.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw753rBRCVARIsANe3o47RUDiX4O3769GTNvU7Mc8MtIkAVLy-BZJZqlBl1XwylldbNix3J2EaAi56EALw_wcB#close|CMRTabs3
Has anyone actually grown it?  Is this true?

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: Mulberry Dwarf Bush - Charlotte Russe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:33:42 »
Sorry I dont know but I’m very interested also to see if anyone has given this a go. Sounds fantastic but is it too good to be true?!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 11:55:10 »
Sorry I dont know but I’m very interested also to see if anyone has given this a go. Sounds fantastic but is it too good to be true?!
My thoughts exactly

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 14:39:38 »
No idea either I'm afraid but a year or two ago I did get some black mulberry seeds in the RHS membership seed distribution scheme and I now have several babies about 30cm high and ready to be potted on.

I intend growing one as a tree in the main garden so the birds can have fruit, one as a fan (if I can) in a fruit cage we're planning and maybe seeing if I can keep another as a bush.   No idea what I'll do with the rest but they won't end up on the compost heap.
Obxx - Vendée France

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 13:56:54 »
I have had one of these at the allotment for 2 years.  Is currently about 2 foot tall with no fruit.  It is currently under threat as I need the space if it not going to produce.

It sits in the same area as the Chilean guava and the Saskatoon - I went through a period of looking for the unusual.  The guava has some fruit this year that need to get bigger.  The Saskatoon is also under threat.

Fortunately I know where there are a couple of old Mulberry trees on public land that no one seems to pay any attention to, although I do get stares when walking away looking as though I have just slaughtered someone.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 14:14:42 »
Difficult to harvest Mulberries without looking like a mad axeman!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 16:25:34 »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone got any news about this?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal