Author Topic: Harvest mites - aaargh  (Read 2489 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Harvest mites - aaargh
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:03 »
This is the second year that I have lots of very itchy bites in the (ahem) bikini areas, during August. It seems that my allotment is probably infested with harvest mites and I wonder if the large amount of manure I put on it has contributed, as they apparently live in the soil.

I put lots of ‘Jungle Strength’ insect repellent on to go to the allotment yesterday, but don't want to put in in all areas and, as it melts plastic, don't want to dissolve clothing with it. The little wotsits seem to have got past the repellent and bitten me anyway. I know from experience they keep itching for at least 4 days.

Suppose I’m looking for sympathy and any advice out there.....!! Do I have to stop going to the allotment in August?

pumkinlover

Re: Harvest mites - aaargh
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:49:55 »
I get bitten a lot and get bad reactions to the bites.
Sadly I end up wearing overalls and boots with long socks all year round.
It means that I get very hot and bothered at times especially as everyone else is in shorts and summer tops (or less!) but at least I don't lie awake allnight feeling like scratching at the itching!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 11:57:57 »
Try Avon skin so soft its what I use as I am walking diner for for bitey things and have bad reactions to the bites. The only down side is dirt sticksbto you. I wear shorts all day in many different gardens and it works for me and it gives very soft skin and smells nice.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 14:29:11 »
They are nasty little things and you have my sympathy.  They produce a very unpleasant reaction.

Strictly speaking you have not been bitten. The mite larvae eat tiny amounts of skin cells and this triggers intense itching. If you have a strong stomach, Google Trombiculae on, say, Wikipedia. It is very informative reading, but very disquieting too.

Any pets?  Spare a thought for them too.  They often get more trouble than us humans.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 22:36:13 »
Thanks all. Yes Beersmith I have googled and found the information about these nasty little parasites! I’m going to try the skin so soft stuff to see if that can protect me. I hope it does as it would be much nicer to spray myself with than the chemicals in repellent. At the moment I am slathering hydrocortisone cream on every few hours and this is mostly stopping me making an exhibition of myself by scratching inappropriately!! Most itchy things I’ve ever encountered!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:35 »
I also use the Avon product, but fortify it with extra Citronella essential oil from the Health Food shop.   Everything bitey gets me too and this gives some protection.

I react particularly badly to Blandford Fly bites with huge swellings.  This year I discovered a new treatment which was effective in that it prevented the huge swellings and wealds I normally get, and that was several drops of Lavender Essential Oils and Peppermint Oil applied straightaway.  I had mislaid my usual Antihistamine cream and  googled whether I could do something with my oils.  It worked.  Whether it is suitable on scratched and broken skin I cannot say.  :wave:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 09:11:58 »
OH gets large palm sized swellings in response to bites. This year even I am getting bitten. I think it's a combo of a large delivery of muck and a combination of very wet and warm... still, Winter is coming!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal