Author Topic: Sowing leeks in autumn  (Read 1855 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Sowing leeks in autumn
« on: August 22, 2019, 23:26:31 »
I intend to grow several varieties of leek in order to save seed from the best specimens, and over time 'clean-up' certain varieties that may have strayed from former glory.

As I understand it, leeks are sown in the spring in order to put on decent size for the table, and flower in their second year.

Is it possible to bypass a year and get the leeks to bolt in their first summer, by sowing in the preceding autumn?

Cheers!

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Sowing leeks in autumn
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:55:18 »
If you were able to skip a year, you may, inadvertently be selecting a strain that bolts easily, not a desirable trait in normal production.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 14:05:15 »
A very important comment from Pescador.  Also if you can induce some leeks to run to seed early, I suspect it might be very difficult to properly assess them for quality.  I have had leeks bolt as a result of heat and drought stress and been most upset about it, but as I recall they were rather poor specimens and did not appear to be the high quality specimens you are seeking.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 23:19:37 »
Thanks for the replies & informative article. Very true that my proposed method may be selecting for the undesirable early-bolting trait, rather obvious but I hadn't considered it! Must remember not to forget the basic when searching for the complex.

I have seed of some 'sand leeks', not A. ampeloprasum but A. scorodoprasum, a multiplying type. Any pro-tips on the culture of these?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:46:40 »
Sand leeks will sort themselves out and either grow a single bulb or multiply if they can.  Probably not even develop flowers if they are too weak because they did not have enough growing time.  There is no advantage starting now from seeds, from bulbs however, now is the right time.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal