Author Topic: Growing wild strawberries in heavy shade  (Read 1340 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Growing wild strawberries in heavy shade
« on: August 20, 2019, 15:17:22 »
In November I will be moving some Gooseberries because it is too shady for them.  According to the Bumblebees  conservation trust, wild strawberries are a good plant for bumblebees in shade.  Any ideas on how to grow these? (I am hoping to eat them as well).
I have noticed that snowdrops in this area take 3 weeks longer to flower than in full sun, it is that shady.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Growing wild strawberries in heavy shade
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 18:20:25 »
I had naturalised alpine/wild strawberries growing in a bed on the north side of our last house so no direct sun ever except for around midday about 10 days either side of the sumer solstice.   They didn't crop heavily but they spread themselves happily so we got decent pickings.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: Growing wild strawberries in heavy shade
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 02:41:39 »
I've grown wild strawberries in pots in a north-facing courtyard. No direct sun ever. They spread and bushed out considerably. They did suffer from mildew at the end of the season, though that was probably mostly due to limited airflow in the courtyard and inconsistent watering.
I believe they are native to deciduous woodland, so not particularly demanding for sunlight.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal