Author Topic: Spring bulbs  (Read 2086 times)

soozie

• Not So New ...
Spring bulbs
« on: August 27, 2019, 18:51:01 »
I have been clearing out my spring bulbs but some of them are producing roots, I know the weather has been extreme  but I don't know whether I should dry them out or replant them which I think is too early. They are not sprouting. Can anyone advise me. Thank you!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Spring bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 20:54:05 »
Bulbs usually put out roots before shoots.  Daffodils start very early and can be planted form August onwards.  If you plant them deep enough you never need to lift them.  Just leave them be.

In fact all bulbs can start going in now except tulips which can develop problems if they go in before mid November.  Small bulbs in particular need to be planted soon to prevent them drying out.
Obxx - Vendée France

soozie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 22:51:54 »
Thank you Obelixx. They were all in pots and are mostly scented narcissus but there's no sign of any growth on the hyacinth, dwarf iris or tulips.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:23:06 »
That's normal.  Narcissus do start early with putting out roots to anchor th ebulb and seek water and nutrients tho most of the latter will come form the foliage and photosynthesis which is why you have to leave the foliage at least 6 weeks after flowering finishes.
Obxx - Vendée France

soozie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 18:09:59 »
I'll repot them then! Thank you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal