Author Topic: How on earth do I dry our onions?  (Read 1693 times)

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
How on earth do I dry our onions?
« on: August 11, 2019, 17:41:37 »
We have a good bed of onions, some reasonable sizes, and the tops are dying back. Would be thinking about digging them up soon and laying out in the sunshine to dry out. Usually put them under the lean-to woodshed if there's rain forecast. It's been cats and dogs all day here in Penicuik and lots more rain to come with very humid air even when it stops. Any tips on how to dry them off in a wet summer?.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Re: How on earth do I dry our onions?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 18:12:45 »
We had a piece of strong wire mesh with 1 1/2" holes which we rested on 4 big plant pots (at each corner), poked through the leafy parts of onions (basically putting them upside down).  Hope this makes sense.  They dried pretty nicely.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 18:36:15 »
I have some slatted shelving although. I have used pallets, suspended chainlink fencing or weld mesh in the past.

In terms of drying I think ensuring that no moisture remains in the stems is sufficient as it is this moisture that will cause the problem during storage!  Placing them upside down usually satisfies this need even in wet weather., add to that .....it washes them clean!

Then when you think they are dry dress them ( remove flaking skins) this will remove any overly wet skins then put them in store. If you are unsure as to whether they are dry enough to store do not tie the necks and this will allow any surplus moisture to drain / evaporate off!

As always when in store eat the thick necked ones first as these are the ones most likely to rot!

Well that is on way and I would imagine a few more methods will follow!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 18:41:48 »
I have some slatted shelving although. I have used pallets, suspended chainlink fencing or weld mesh in the past.

In terms of drying I think ensuring that no moisture remains in the stems is sufficient as it is this moisture that will cause the problem during storage!  Placing them upside down usually satisfies this need even in wet weather., add to that .....the rain will wash them clean!

Then when you think they are dry dress them ( remove flaking skins) this will remove any overly wet skins then put them in store. If you are unsure as to whether they are dry enough to store do not tie the necks and this will allow any surplus moisture to drain / evaporate off!

As always when in store eat the thick necked ones first as these are the ones most likely to rot!

Well that is on way and I would imagine a few more methods will follow!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 18:45:40 »
Sorry about that I modified  a typo and somehow gave you both versions!

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 12:41:50 »
Thanks for that Tee Gee. Will have a look what we have in the garage. Its full of useful stuff - no room for the car! The rain has stopped today so hopefully some drying weather coming soon.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 18:17:12 »
I use the same way as Tee Gee upside down fed through the slats on mini greenhouse shelves and leave them in the shed
Barnsley S Yorks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 21:28:49 »
Spent five hours today doing just that... I use the shelves of those mini greenhouses to hold them upside down, as they aren't being used for anything else at time of year, outside without the plastic cover...
works a treat... 7-10 days if warm and dry, a bit longer if not..  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal