Author Topic: The apples have been thinned  (Read 1824 times)

ACE

• Hectare
The apples have been thinned
« on: August 10, 2019, 22:31:55 »
75mph winds roaring through the garden but there are still plenty of apples and pears on the trees. I have not been to the allotment yet but as it came from the south the copse would have tamed the wind a bit before it got to my plot. Fingers crossed. I was on a bus that the doors got blown in and I am sure went over on two wheels at one time and e had to wait  while trees were removed from the roads.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: The apples have been thinned
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:53:33 »
I popped down to the plot yesterday as we needed some veg for a BBQ in the evening.
Climbing beans ain't climbing anymore! Sweetcorn at 45 degrees and a few flattened toms.  Have to go visit later today as it was a waste of time trying to stand everything up in the wind..
Picked two buckets of apples off the garden lawn!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:04 »
Apart from the brassica net being blown about everything seems alright. The re-bar bean structure stood up well but they do look a bit wind burnt.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 15:16:54 »
My beans were on the deck this morning but are back up now and like Ace my apples have been thinned, not june drop but the August fling.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 16:26:48 »
The met office has just issued a tornado warning for the Isle of Wight.  Fingers crossed they are wrong.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 16:55:29 »
I hope they're wrong.  Tornadoes ripped thru the Netherlands and Luxembourg at the weekend.  Not pretty.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:03:11 »
Didn't happen, what next, a plague of frogs?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 11:18:52 »
Went down to find one of my old apples (Emneth) has thrown a branch under the weight of fruit. As it is an early cooker I'll collect the fruit tomorrow, when it might stop raining... and start preping apple pies for the freezer...

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 07:47:49 »
Very small apples which come off can be made into a puree for the pectin. I freeze them in ice cube  blocks then pop a couple into jams.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal