Author Topic: Planting summer flowering bubs out now?  (Read 2266 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Planting summer flowering bubs out now?
« on: August 16, 2019, 09:55:05 »
OK- on a whim (I know- but it was a great offer :happy7:), I bought some dahlia, gladioli and oriental lily bulbs in an end of season sale.  Should I put them in now, or store for next year?  I'm gardening in the Pennines in Derbyshire.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Planting summer flowering bubs out now?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 22:21:23 »
Plant them in pots and nurture them.   They may just produce foliage this late but that will feed the bulbs and tubers for next year.  Keep them protected from frosts over winter and start them into growth again next spring with watering and a light feed.   Keep them sheltered, fed and watered till the last frosts.
Obxx - Vendée France

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:55 »
Potting up and overwintering 150 bulbs/tubers will be pretty impractical- is it worth just keeping them in a cool dark place until next season? Thanks.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:40:58 »
Dehydration would be the death of these living stores of plant energy.Excess moisture will encourage and support fungal decay. Temperature will be a factor in them 'reawakening'. They need to be 'aware' of the season. Place of storage will be key in delivering the ambient conditions for their survival, imho. What have you to lose, at this time?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:02 »

In this case you do not have to pot them up individually but pot them up you must!

With the Dahlias I would plant them up something like this with  some compost over them until the frosts when any growth they make will be blackened;

When the growth has blackened follow winter treatment as I do here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/D/Dahlia/Dahlias.htm

With Gladioli & Lilies I would pot them in layers in large pots for the time being where they may or may not develop new growth. The number you get in a pot is dependant on the size of the pot. Again just stick them out doors until the frosts come then revert back to normal end of season routine!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/G/Gladioli/Gladioli.htm

Lilies can be treated in a similar manner!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/L/Lillium/Lillium.htm

The only thing I am concerned with these is prior to being lifted at the nursery did the bulbs form an embryo?.

If not you might have blind plants next year, but at least planting them up now may encourage them to form an embryo!

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:17:24 »
Thanks Tee Gee- that's more practical for my current situation...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal