Author Topic: melons  (Read 1395 times)

cudsey

• Half Acre
melons
« on: August 08, 2019, 18:43:15 »
I have grown a couple of melons this year they are in the greenhouse and they have almost taken over half of it there are lots of flowers on and small fruit developing so do I remove some of the flowers and just keep a couple of fruits on each plant or how else can I stop it  any help would be appreciated 
Barnsley S Yorks

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: melons
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:47:34 »
I would remove the stems beyong 2 or 3 good fruits so the plant can concentrate its energies on making those ripe and juicy.  They need warmth and plenty of watering and feeding.

I grew some last year but, frankly, I can buy locally grown melons here that are very good, cheap and tasty and a lot less bovver.   This year, no melons and 2 more pepper plants than last year.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:36:48 »
Melons do seem to ripen well off the plant - so even after transport to the UK they are good and generally better than what I can grow here - certainly until you invest in a top quality greenhouse in a perfect location - not to mention wasting a few years of trial and error to become an expert on growing where they don't really want to grow...

How a fruit ripens is the key to whether it is worth growing at home - the south of the UK is a perfect place for pears, but on the other hand they ripen so well off the plant that growing the standard varieties is a crazy waste of resources, especially if you are happy with Conference and Concord.

If you grow melons and pears but don't grow plums and apricots (the shop ones are simply appalling)  then in my expert opinion (as if!) you definitely need your head examining.

The "sable" range of grapes (hybrids with non-vinifera species) have just re-appeared in the supermarket - the current one appears to actually be the variety Sable but the ones earlier in the year were similar but slightly different and in some cases better then the flagship variety. They are as different from ordinary grapes as apricots are from peaches.

I am now wondering whether my similar hybrids on the plot are worth growing here, but if I really needed the space I would remove my Chambourcin first - it is V. vinifera and would be a lot happier and tastier without our maritime climate. I would keep Glenora (smallish harvest but still unbeaten for flavour) and also dump Beauty (which is a hybrid but doesn't taste like one). Himrod is still worth keeping for big trouble-free yields of white seedless grapes - some of the white shop grapes are nearly as good but most are rubbish.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 18:13:28 »
I dont think I will grow melons next year but after last years hot summer I thought I will try a couple  I will sort them out tomorrow and see what happens  Thanks for the advice
Barnsley S Yorks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 20:01:05 »
I was taught that manual pollination is advisable and it is best to do it when the sun is at its highest.

This proved difficult in the  days I worked for a living but the old Polish retiree who advised me did it for me, and to be honest I have never been able to grow them very well since his passing!

So I think there was something in his advice that I must have missed!....God bless him!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 18:30:54 »
Well I removed the stems this morning leaving 3 fruits on each gave them a feed so will see how they get on

Thanks
Barnsley S Yorks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal