Author Topic: Progress made and lessons learned  (Read 2227 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Progress made and lessons learned
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:56:44 »
An odd year so far.  As I reported in other posts, mice have been a problem with peas,  Seeds were dug up and shoots eaten.  Beans also attracted unwelcome attention, this from rabbits, which chomped the foliage.  The leaves were sprinkled with cayenne pepper which has helped and I may dress my pea seeds with the cayenne next year .  Ferrets have been used on the warren and they seem to be gone now.  When I read to my youngest grandchild, I now tell him firmly that Mr MacGreggor was right and that Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny belong in pies.

I'm getting on top of the Mares's tail.  Glyphosate seems to work better on it if the foliage is bent over flat and scraped with a spade before spraying.  Between that and digging, the weed is much reduced and in most areas almost gone.

On a more successful note, I installed new raised beds for carrots and onions.  I spaced both quite intensively and have bumper crops.  On a site with carrot fly problems, I also used a barrier of insect mesh on one bed.  I have some good compost from a bin I  took over.  I tested it in a couple of pots with no problems at all.

For next year - more raised beds and intensive spacing as recommended by an old friend.

pumkinlover

Re: Progress made and lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:30:26 »
Seems like progress is being made.
Gardening is always good and bad depending on the weather etc. The trick is learning to go with the flow and enjoy the good and not worry too much about what went wrong. Sometimes we even learn from it!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Progress made and lessons learned
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:05:29 »
OH complaining that things like toms and courgettes are late this year... but look the other way and we already have wheelbarrow sized red and green cabbage, best pea crop in years and virtually moth free, some people are always glass half-empty...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal