Author Topic: Blossom End Rot  (Read 2762 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Blossom End Rot
« on: July 25, 2019, 17:10:21 »
Not got this too badly but its the first time I have ever found it. A few of the tomatoes on one plant (Italian type Oxheart) in the polytunnel have it.  If I add powdered milk to the water will this help?  I think Lime is too drastic for me, and using it makes me nervous - except for brassicas
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Blossom End Rot
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 16:12:41 »
You're right that it's caused by calcium deficiency but as the RHS says:

"It is very rare for soils, growing bags or potting media to actually lack calcium. There is almost always plenty in the soil and indeed within the plant. However for calcium to reach the parts of the plant that are furthest from the roots there needs to be a good flow of water through the plant. The fruits are distant from the roots and do not compete as well as the leaves for calcium, leading to a local lack of calcium at the ends of the fruit."

The solution is to water regularly, and not let the soil get dry. I find that the first fruit get it - because the watering has been irregular in the holiday periods - but the rest of the crop are fine.

I hope it got better for you too!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 17:17:50 »
As Paul mentions watering is critical as generally Blossom End rot is caused by the lack of, or irregular watering!

Add to that Tomatoes have a dual root system in so far as the upper roots are feeding roots and the lower roots are water seeking roots.

What can happen is; although people may think they are applying sufficient water the thing is;is the water getting down to the water roots?

To ensure this is happening I sink a pot 4"-6" into the soil/compost at the base of each plant and add my water into these as shown here;

When feeding I apply the water to the surface soil thus ensuring the fertiliser content gets to the upper roots rather than the lower roots.

Her is my slant on B/E Rot

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/T/Tomato-Blossom%20End%20rot/Tomato%20-%20Blossom%20End%20Rot.htm

I hope this helps!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:07:51 »
Thanks for the help.  I thought I had been watering OK.  I did plant out a bit late this year due to a special holiday.  I've had a few problems with grow bags the last couple of years - I use Tomorite Growbags - and I was wondering if the composition had been changed.  Next season I will try a control and plant some in bags and some directly into prepared soil.  Some plotholders had blight badly this year - but we were spared

Many thanks again   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal