Author Topic: Winter under glass  (Read 3765 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Winter under glass
« on: July 17, 2019, 21:27:08 »
Hi All,

I am going to be replacing the planting structure i have in the greenhouse in october once all the crops are out and the last 2 years once i have cleared the greenhouse in october nothings is grown till april the following year.

(greenhouse does have a small heater but i try not to use it)

So other than salad crops what can i put into greenhouse over these months?

I am wondering if carrots would grow or onions? I did try carrots but they went to seed and were tiny :(

Cam
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 21:30:01 by cambourne7 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Winter under glass
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:02:24 »
Most of the winter brassicas, like cauli, early broad beans...

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 12:21:31 »
You can use it to overwinter any plant that didn't grow much for whatever reason (usually neglect in my case).

Onion seed that for some reason just turned into a set, sets that just became slightly larger sets. Unused sets - being under cover means they don't need to be overwintering types.

Leeks that never quite made it to transplanting size. Brassicas (not just winter ones) that languished in pots that were too small and others that suffered from a close neighbour that grew like topsy (maybe it found itself planted on something nutritious like a dead animal).

Not to mention early peas - especially Oregon mangetout - they are called snow peas for a reason... Beans can encourage an early crop of spider mite but I don't think peas are as bad.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:38:19 »
You could add peas for shoots, and microgreens*(a good use for'old' veg seeds that are 'iffy'- all brassicaes,beet,spinach,sunflowers),plus mustard, cress
* you have seen Curtis Stone on You tube, haven't you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6w4eJpNXY
All presuming that you have some spare space, remember that you will still wish to start Spring on time!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal