Author Topic: dirty boots  (Read 1905 times)

ACE

• Hectare
dirty boots
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:59:16 »
To keep this allotment related which cordless cleaner is the best for picking up the dirt left on the floor after you try and tip toe to the sink with the fresh veg as you are going out again and can't be arsed to take your boots off. We have a VAX which is pretty good at picking it up but really useless when you switch it off as the dirt drops back down the pipe. Some of these gadgets are mega bucks to buy, but I need some brownie points so I can sneak off to a folk festival this weekend. Has to pick up enough shedded dog hair every day to make a fresh poodle, easy on the stairs, hang and recharge in a cupboard and noisy enough to drown out a celebrity chef on the telly.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: dirty boots
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 14:08:55 »
Does it have to flower all year round and have a good scent, too, Ace?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 18:15:14 »
Why not ask your wife which make she would like? Lots of reviews online to help with the decision.

Tricia :wave:

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 22:16:26 »
Ace I love your post :)

I have a Dyson, one of the first cordless, my son was working for them when they came out so got it at a good price, must be about 6 years old and has been really well used, especially cleaning football mud out of cars!  They have pet hair attachments and are brilliant on stairs, and yes noisy enough....

There are newer ones now so I couldn't say which model but they all are an improvement on mine.  Expensive, but could that get you extra brownie points?  I will definitely get another one when this gives up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 22:19:23 »
Tricia I do not believe in online revues, mostly the people who are selling them. She purchased the last one, so not a good idea for her  to go and  buy another load of rubbish. I expect it will be a dyson in the end.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:09:28 »
I keep a dustpan and brush nearby and just sweep up the mud and put it in the bin. Simple, cheap and it works.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 22:07:12 »
Long or short handled brush and dustpan works for me too.

OH chose our latest vaccuum cleaner.  I call it "the bloody Dyson" and refuse to use it as it's crap.  Bagless but a pain to empty and clean, clogs up at the drop of a hat, stupid short cord and stupid short handle and I'm only 5'7.   He just gets on with it.

I've made him buy a robot for titivating between proper cleans.   NEATO is best for cat and dog hairs.   Works like the old Exbank carpet sweepers rather than by vaccuum but does well for us as it needs no intervention other than setting it off and even that can be programmed.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 10:30:01 »
We bought a Dyson "root cyclone" years and years and years ago.  At that time this was a great appliance.  Worked extremely well although it does require the occasional new set of filters. It was built in a way that allowed it to be completely dismantled, and it is therefore easy to maintain. Any half competent handyman with a set of torx screwdrivers would find it a doddle.

After many years of regular use the original motor burned out. Drop in replacement - £45 on eBay - fitted in half an hour and away it went again.  Twice I have stripped it down and removed any build up of gunk from all the airways. Well engineered and given how long it has lasted (and it is still going strong) good value for money. Replacement parts are still easily available. No reason to think it could not go another ten years at least possibly longer.

Despite the above, this is not a recommendation for Dyson. That was then. Hard to recall but I think 1997.  I'd be surprised if modern machines are made the same way. Much stuff today is made so that dismantling and repair is well nigh impossible or at least as difficult as possible.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 10:54:30 »
Sadly I concur with your observations Beersmith.  OH finds the Dyson so very easy to repair and there are no end of youtube videos on how to do it, that it seems a new one is forever out of the question.  I had two motors burn out, but for some reason they were covered by the original guarantee, which surprised me.  At the second motor exchange the guy said they now have more robust ones and he had fitted one of the good ones.  That was nearly ten years ago.  It does pick up well, the filters need to be washed regularly and you need to have a brush ready to clean it when emptying.  And there are dust clouds, so I empty straight into the outside black bin.

We originally bought it because any hoovered up Lego and other toy kit bits were easily visible when the kids were young - they have long left home now.  The "animal" extra tool is good for furniture and stairs.  Definitely no advertising either, just observation   :BangHead:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 19:52:20 »
Oops!

Did I say "handyman"?

Of course I meant to say handyman or handy woman.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 09:05:46 »
I avoided Dyson as I never fancied looking at the dust and muck but eventually next door threw one out and the bags for our Miele were costing a small fortune.
OH repaired it easily (one of the good points - of OH and the Dyson) so I bought a small one for doing the stairs and hard surfaces.
Personally I think both are excellent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal