Author Topic: could there be a worse time i think not  (Read 6296 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
could there be a worse time i think not
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:13:16 »
had a fall over the weekend dam arthritis and the result is a broken ankle   ive so  much planting out to do courgettes runner beans sweetcorn cucumbers  squash tomatoes all in the greenhouse and this week is my planting week and awaiting appointment with the fracture clinic i hope it will be less than 6 weeks with this dam air boot thingy  i think it will be a black sack over the boot and have to lay down to plant the 400 plants that have to go in the joys of getting old
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: could there be a worse time i think not
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:29:37 »
Sorry to hear that. Hope it eventually heals properly for you. No one to give a hand? (or maybe a foot?)
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 13:49:29 »
the joys of getting old

Tell me about it I am finding that I have the mind of a 40 year old that wants the body of an 80 year old to do what  I used to do.

Sadly I am finding the body is winning!

But as the say Johnnie; if there is way way you will find it!

Do you have one of those stools that doubles as a kneeling pad and a seat. Never thought I would ever need one but now I find it a blessing as I can use my upper body and shoulders to get up and down a bit easier when planting.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 13:58:29 by Tee Gee »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 15:11:50 »
Sorry to hear this.  I broke my ankle years ago and it was possible (with care and keeping the plaster clean) to carry on working in some sort of fashion. 

Now is probably time to call in a few favours and get help, especially with watering in and lugging heavy watering cans, unless you are allowed to use a hosepipe due to the special circumstances. 

As you say, not a good time but with help from friends and family, it should be possible to stay on top of the planting up.  Good luck.  :wave:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 07:39:35 »
Hi Ya, Sorry to hear of your ankle J15, I know where your coming from as I had a major op last October and it went wrong. The stent in my left artery blocked and due to the shortage of blood supply I can only walk short distances. It really does hurt and wit my hips as well I try to do bits but having been used to mobility to suddenly be restricted is very frustrating. I do what I can and have had some help though very little. I have had to get some weed suppressant material to lay down to help me. I have to sit down and allow the leg to get an oxygen supply so its 20 mins sitting and only 5 doing things. Still chin up and away I go so good luck and take care. You will have to wait as they will want the swelling to subside. Good luck mate

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:09:10 »
Best wishes to both of you.
It's so frustrating when you really want to do something and an injury or condition makes it difficult.
Good on you for keep battling.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:19 »
Oh mate - the worse possible time isn't it?  Hope it isn't too painful and you can get some stuff planted out. I am sure you can call in a few favors and get a bit done yourself.
There are times when you just have to give in to the injury and let it heal so don't overdo anything or you may take longer to heal.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 13:54:27 »
I have to sit down and allow the leg to get an oxygen supply so its 20 mins sitting and only 5 doing things. Still chin up and away I go so good luck and take care. You will have to wait as they will want the swelling to subside. Good luck mate

That is quite a restriction Lezelle,  What a triumph though to manage your plot all the same.  The weed suppressing fabric is a good idea and a testament of your ingenuity and tenacity.  Hope there will be an improvement.  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 17:12:21 »
thanks all for your kind words and some wonderful motivation from lezzell still carring on regardless well done you! . ive an air boot instead of a cast, i managed to put some canes in for my tomatoes today will give tomorrow a miss as we have 40-50 MPH winds forcast , so will finish them sunday things will just have to take longer ive 6, 2ft squares of foam ill put between rows and slide along to plant out. the swelling has gone down alot and my leg foot and toes have now a yellowish green hue  instead of black, so im on the mend
          again thanks for all your kind words and support

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 14:03:19 »
its been a slow week here on the sunshine coast unable to drive even the 10 min walk is beyond me at the mo . however i did get some work done set out my tomato poles and got a few in

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 16:56:14 »
That looks very organised.  I hope they don't catch cold.   

Good luck with the healing process.  Take it easy and don't risk making things worse!!
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 09:20:00 »
Looks superneat!
It shows how different your conditions are, we wouldn't dream of putting tomatoes outside in April.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 09:57:05 »
I agree with Pumpkinlover.  We have had frosts as late as June.  However global warming is also showing itself here.  The old proverb "when May is out, winter has lost it's clout"  May being hawthorn blossoms, is no longer accurate.  The first blossom this year opened two days ago in April.

I love the feeding and watering stations beside the tomatoes, very neat indeed.  What is the mulch?  You are again set for a bumper crop there.  Nicely done!  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 12:47:20 »
I agree with Pumpkinlover.  We have had frosts as late as June.  However global warming is also showing itself here.  The old proverb "when May is out, winter has lost it's clout"  May being hawthorn blossoms, is no longer accurate.  The first blossom this year opened two days ago in April.

I love the feeding and watering stations beside the tomatoes, very neat indeed.  What is the mulch?  You are again set for a bumper crop there.  Nicely done!  :wave:
yes its set to go down to 4 friday night then after that back up to 8 min so they will be ok the mulch is leaf mould every year i put 4 tonne of manure down first then 3 inch layer of leaf mould the soil here is so sandy you have to put loads of organics in to give it structure off to the hospital today to see what they are going to do about my chipped vertebre  lets hope its not imobolizing

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 07:38:09 »
How are you now mate.  Recovered and back on plot duty?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 19:14:58 »
How are you now mate.  Recovered and back on plot duty?
indeed nick my boot came off for the last time today i managed to get one plot planted out and will finish the 2nd tomorrow. however the cost was the fruit plot weeds waist high so will attack that over the next 2 weeks getting them up to scratch  how's your recovery been

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:05 »
Glad your cast is off Johnny.  Take it easy.  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 13:44:56 »
Glad to hear you are on the mend mate.
Recovery has been slower than I thought!
Went to the quacks last week and he reckons 3-6 months till full recovery.  But it's not so bad now and I can do most things I need to do and luckily the plots were in good shape - i just have to take things at a slower than normal pace.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal