Author Topic: Autumn Fruiting raspberries  (Read 2781 times)

pumkinlover

Autumn Fruiting raspberries
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:16 »
Last year the heat and dryness got to the autumn raspberries and they stopped growth at the flower bud stage and went dormant.
In the winter at the time the previously fruited growth should have been cut down  I took the decision to leave them, knowing that pruning is important in when they fruit.  Therefore I am not surprised that they have turned into summer fruiting raspberries but in view of the mainly dry spring and summer I have ended up with a great crop.
I don't have the time/ energy to water the raspberries so am really pleased. :blob7:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Autumn Fruiting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:35:58 »
I have JoanJ also Autumn fruiting(I think!) but have been picking a couple of handfuls most days for a couple of weeks now. I don't water them either but do cut them down every winter and give them a feed - usually chicken manure pellets. They are quite old plants so really need replacing but the job is too big for me now so I'll have to get someone in to do the work this coming winter.

Tricia :wave:

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 21:59:26 »
I've realised that there are fruits on my Joan J - I think on the canes that were small but didn't deserve pruning last year.

Autumn fruiting is a misnomer - they start in summer and go on to the frosts.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:47 »
Well I am doubly pleased now as the first fruits on the canes which carried over from last year cropped a bit and now the new canes are laden :toothy10: :toothy10:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 20:25:50 »
I miss my autumn raspberries since we moved. They were definitely my best allotment success. I've still got a bit of jam left as a reminder, but it's nothing compared to the fresh fruit and I haven't got room here.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:52:10 »
Just going out to pick some now... taking a break!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:55:59 »
Still picking... the hot weekend might slow them down but have had buckets full... almost as hard to get rid of as courgettes in a warm summer...

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:12 »
Mine are nearly ready, something to look forward to.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 20:01:45 »
RV Roger supplies different varieties
Autumn Bliss £18 for 10, Joan J 26.50 for, Himbo £30 for 10.
Are they worth the extra compared to Autumn Bliss?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:03:51 »
RV Roger supplies different varieties
Autumn Bliss £18 for 10, Joan J 26.50 for, Himbo £30 for 10.
Are they worth the extra compared to Autumn Bliss?
My Autumn Bliss, probably at least 15 years old, are still producing a modest feed for two, every couple of days. I haven't any experience of the other two so can't really say, except that I can vouch for Autumn Bliss being really hardy performers which soldier on and on.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 13:27:51 »
Just a little bit of sunshine late yesterday afternoon after the rain.

Down to the allotment and home with a mixed punnet of blackberries and raspberries.  Autumn Bliss still producing - the bumble bees were also still out on the flowers that are still coming.  The raspberries are fairly small now, but expect them to go on to the frosts.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal