Author Topic: Courgettes slow in The North  (Read 2960 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Courgettes slow in The North
« on: July 01, 2019, 13:03:23 »
The weather here has been quite different to The South. Courgettes were reasonably early and, as usual, I cut the first ones off each plant very small. But since then growth has been slow. Plenty of sun and heat but no rain for 6 days and hand watering is never as good. Hope the runner beans are better. Veg always taste better when they grow quickly.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Courgettes slow in The North
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 15:07:14 »
Mine have only really taken off this last few days. Then I only realised when I found a big one under the leaves and decided to take a good look. Loads of nine or ten inchers  which are just right for me. Usually I just take it for granted that the first flowers are male for a week or two.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 16:48:59 »
Mine are slowish in London but I have had a few.  Could be that I am growing some different varieties this year though.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:40:27 »
None yet but looking hopeful!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:03:02 »
One small courgette, several flowers.  Just about normal for here.  July is usually when we get our first ones.  :wave:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 20:34:46 »
Some encouraging replies. I,m being impatient maybe. Had my first tomatoes with tonight's dinner

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:39:08 »
Some encouraging replies. I,m being impatient maybe. Had my first tomatoes with tonight's dinner

Well we are eating courgettes but  still waiting for tomatoes.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 15:15:17 »
Still waiting for courgettes here in Kent, the cold nights until quite recently were holding them back - I think :(
Just had a few ripe Garden Pearl from my January sown plants - a month later than usual, for the same reason I suppose.

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:26:56 »
Mine is in the polytunnel so think this is helping.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 18:00:16 »
Agreed that here (N E Hampshire) they seem to have been slow to establish this year. Last year had 3 plants out early April from a germination test, which survived frost under tunnel cloches but this year all were later planted out.  no doubt!Will be knee deep in a couple of weeks
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 12:58:50 »
Mine are still pathetic and very small ....down far south Cornwall ..very disappointed after I went to so much trouble with them from seed .    :coffee2: Debbie 
Trespassers will be composted !

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 13:56:32 »
Mine are still pathetic and very small ....down far south Cornwall ..very disappointed after I went to so much trouble with them from seed .    :coffee2: Debbie 
Very disheartening. Mine started to come shortly after my post and am giving them away and looking up courgette recipes as normal. It's difficult to know why some fail and others are prolific. After starting them in the GH, I always get the best results by planting in the previous year's compost bin which offers protection from the winds we suffer as well as plenty of humous.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 14:07:48 »
Mine were slow from the off. Never thought they were going to germinate - and I grow a good few varieties.  They eventually got going and now I am inundated with "Yellow Ball" type.  Standard green have not done as well and I fell the season will be short this year.  Winter Squash large AND small - has not done so well either this year.  The fruits are half the size and about one quarter the quantity.  MASSES of leaves but not fruited well.  I am in North Warwickshire.  Some friends in MIlton Keynes are weeks in front and doing spectacularly well.  Oh well! Plan for next time   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 16:48:54 »
I haven't had any courgettes yet.  The plants are small despite being in for weeks and I have only had male flowers.  However, my squash are doing really well and extending well outside the raised beds.  I have a lot of fruit on all of them except the pumpkins which are also just producing male flowers but they were the last to be planted out. 

owtfornowt

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 22:55:56 »
Mine were slow seemed to be in limbo for weeks now it’s what the heck do I do with all these. My sister won’t open the door now when I visit😂. It’s been a good year all round just used last of first early spuds, tried a root of desire it was astounding and there’s still plenty of growing time left. Must be a good climate here in South Yorkshire. Al sithi.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:25 »
My courgettes in gh and pumpkins have terrible mildew so don't think I will get much more off them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal