Author Topic: The Beechgrove Garden  (Read 2630 times)

lezelle

• Acre
The Beechgrove Garden
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:13:51 »
Hi All, I am somewhat confused as to what is going on with this programme. I enjoy this so much more than any others but it seems that it has been suspended or cancelled. I started watching and recording only to find that apparently it will only be shown in Scotland but I can find no reference ti it when I search. Is anyone aware of what is happening?

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: The Beechgrove Garden
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:28:57 »
Beechgrove can still be seen as before on BBC2 south of the border. However it was suspended after the first few episodes until the beginning of August in favour of more sport etc by BBC2 Scotland. There was a howl of protest and many of us sent complaints to the BBC in the hope of a rethink next year. Jim, who being now retired so could do this, made a protest at one of their gardeners question sessions.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:42:55 »
Hi Ya, Thanks Redalder, so it will be back on in August, good, I don't mind sport but there is to much now and like the leadership for the Tories I get fed up with it. They seem to have live sport then an hour later todays play. They could still put Beechgrove on as normal on both BBC 2 and Scotland as there is no sport on a Sunday morning at 0930. I haven't seen it on for the last 3 weeks. I am up to programme 7. Still, I will look forward to it. I like Beechgrove for it's down to earth approach, excuse the pun, also some good tips. Happy Gardening
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:46:30 by lezelle »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:44:48 »
Just checked iplayer and there are no episodes available.  :BangHead:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 14:04:00 »
It has been moved to a new channel, BBC Scotland, so try there.   Apparently the powers that Beeb are trying to move it to attract a younger audience so have upped their presence on things like Facebook but that's utterly useless for older people who still lik eto see stuff on a normal sized TV screen. 

It is also a huge disservice to all the loyal and new viewers south of th eborder who seek some practical, informative gardening respite from the current format of GW and the claustrophobia and frequent inaccuracie of Monty Don's garden.
Obxx - Vendée France

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 13:23:24 »
Beechgrove will be back on BBC Scotland on 25th of July for another 7 whole episodes. Presumably it will be on BBC2 as before the following Sunday morning.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 06:44:41 »
Hi Ya, thanks for the update Redalder, I have been watching but not seen anything yet. I will keep an eye open nearer the time and thanks again,

picman

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:58:58 »
I am totally dismayed with the BBC lately..  GW 'was' a good Friday night relaxing view .. now has gone full on PC.. same with Country File, and as for the other 'garden ' orientated programs.. a disgrace.. the Beechgrove was a breath of fresh air , BBC got it wrong again..

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:58:01 »
BBC got it wrong again.

I gave up with BBC gardening programmes many years ago for a couple of reasons one was;

The pundit of the day who might have been Geoff Hamilton or the one before that, I can't recall, but it was that long ago!

My reason was: when he got to the part of the programme where he told you what you could be doing this weekend! On that occasion he mentioned a number of things and after he had finished the list I happened to look out the window and it was covered in a few inches of snow and it was blowing a blizzard!

So much for recorded programmes and the viewers who lived out in the sticks other than the area that the programmes were filmed in!

More recently I watched the film crew and young producers at Tatton Park show ushering Monty,Joe and Carol around into places that let the camera men get the best light on the scene rather than the  best place for the pundit to show the viewers the show events.. In other words much of the TV programme is staged for the cameras.

In fact Beechgrove gardens have been revamped recently at great expense! Not for the benefit of the viewers but for the cameras, As I recall they did the same with Geoff Hamilton's garden and Monty's I believe!

As some of you may know I have often put up slideshows on A4A  only for some of you to say......I didn't see that on telly then they would bemoan the BBC.

The reason I got pictures that the telly didn't capture was that I didn't have a producer telling me to picture this and that.

So that is my take on TV gardening!

Which reminds me it is Tatton show next week must get my camera charged up!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:23 »
Hi Ya, I look forward to Tatton park visit Tee Gee. I enjoy looking at the photos. I to get fed up with the BBC  as they don't seem to think about the ordinary punters. I begrudge paying the telly licence. When I saw what they are paying people like the radio presenter and football pundit, Over a million, They also send them abroad and you can bet your bottom dollar they are in first class digs. Typical is the full on coverage of Wimbledon. Both 1 and 2 most of the day and then the new then highlights. Some enjoy it and good for them but we don't watch much BBC at all and tend to divert to other channels. Still each to their own I suppose. Rant over. I will now escape to my allotment. Happy Gardening

David Diss

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:16 »
Hi Every one - my first post. Not the greatest with technology so hope this transmits! I REALLY miss those quill pens and blotting paper but time marches on!

Couldn't agree more that GW has lost its way. Too many presenters doing their own thing and there is little interest for me these days. I only watch for Monty's dogs - Nigel and Nellie!!

Beechgrove crammed more real gardening into its half hour slot and the sooner it returns the better!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 10:46:46 »
Hi Ya, Success, I recorded Beechgrove last night and watched it just now. Brilliant its back. Thanks all

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:48 »
I was away at the weekend and my dear OH taped it for me to catch up.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 10:53:04 »
I've now watched my recording and lved it.  Full of interesting stuff and good humour too.   Mr Beardshaw is always a delight and the rest was good too.

I also very much enjoyed GW this week with Adam at the helm.   The coverage of the industrial site in Germany was a tad too long but what an inspirational thing to do.   I enjoyed the other stuff too tho I thought it was abit late to be pruning group 2 clems and I'm still not gripped by anything Frances thingy has to say.  I find her underwhelming.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 08:27:19 »
Was it just me or was the continuity a bit off in the first ten minutes?
Only a minor niggle, or am I so used to watching programmes where they tell you what you have already seen, or going to see and eventually get on with the programme.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 11:04:37 »

Taped!  I hope he let gave the telly time for the valves to warm up.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 17:55:38 »

Taped!  I hope he let gave the telly time for the valves to warm up.

Ey up!!I can remember having two televisions when it was unheard of to have more than one in the house.
It was very useful though as they were both old and unreliable so one sat on top of the other and when one broke down we would put the other one on to hopefully see the end of the programme. In black and white of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal