Author Topic: Lost my comfrey brew virginity  (Read 2996 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Lost my comfrey brew virginity
« on: June 27, 2019, 15:37:27 »
First batch of comfrey tea made to the popular methodology.

Unbelievable stench. Horrific, awe-inspiring, fetid. A foul concoction precipitated by man's arrogance.

The citizens of the wormery are all over the solid dregs. It would seem to be the most popular item on the menu thus far.

The liquid brew sits in a large jug in the courtyard. Dark, still, ever present. When you stare into the 'tea', the 'tea' stares back.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Lost my comfrey brew virginity
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 20:43:56 »
Never turn your back.

It's like those stone angels on Doctor Who,  You never actually see it move but glance away for a moment and it always seems to inch closer.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 21:24:53 »
to get the perfect devil brew try to find a chap who keeps pigeons 70/30 ratio comfry to pigeon poo  yes it stinks  but boy plants love it
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 07:44:15 »
Is there only me who rather likes the smell, though I think that it is a lot to do with how good it is for the plants.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 13:46:33 »
I just use comfrey as a mulch beneath plants...  minimal pong!😆
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:21:37 »
Hi Ya, I to am making comfrey liquid for the first time. I have a flip top bin half full of comfrey and rainwater. Not noticing the smell yet but have been told it is quite whiffy. I am setting up a worm bin and will feed the dregs to them if they like it. I have made horse poo liquid before and that isn't to bad a smell. I tend to mix it into my water butts so every time I water I am feeding the plants. Happy days

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 08:35:52 »
I do think the smell is rather over hyped, after years of use I hardle notice it.
Rabbit poo fertiliser llikewise.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 00:59:38 »
Either you've got used to it or I did something wrong. I did add a banana skin and a couple of slices of rye sourdough to 'help' fermentation. It really smelled godawful.

@lezelle Good luck! My worms really seem to be enjoying the leftovers. Also, the smell disappears after a day or so once the worms start to work on it.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 11:17:52 »
Yep, that confirms that I’m going to stick with putting the comfrey leaves on the soil by plants or into my compost bin.

On the other hand, has anyone tried the method using a drainpipe which you stuff the comfrey into and it releases the juice into a waiting container? It’s meant to be less smelly but I dont know anyone who has tried it yet

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:22 »
Yes I have tried that method and it doesn't smell too much at all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal