Author Topic: Fair Price for a greenhouse  (Read 2822 times)

herring8

• Not So New ...
Fair Price for a greenhouse
« on: June 22, 2019, 21:17:35 »
Hi All - i have two greenhouses already - however there is a vacant plot on my site with a nice greenhouse.  The plot hasnt been tended for many yrs so the weeds are about 5ft high.  The greenhouse in question is about 10ft long with not a pane of glass in it so its going to cost a lot to get it useable again.    I want to approach the site management and make a fair offer, obvs I dont want to overbid but wondered what would be a fair price.  The last greenhouse i got on my site came with 80% of the glass and cost me £80.  This is a bare frame - any suggestions what i should offer? i was thinking £40/50 - is this too low or too high ??

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Fair Price for a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 21:50:28 »
Sounds too high to me.

The frame only has potential value.  Without someone prepared to move it, renovate and reglaze it is little more than rubbish cluttering up an untended site.

Now if you offered to remove it, and weed, clear and dig over that part of the plot, the site management might see that as a win win.  The plot will be partially cleared and easier to relet, and not cluttered with rubbish.  Give it a go. You might get it for nothing, albeit a couple of days work clearing and digging.

Not all plot holders want a greenhouse. Without one, I can go to my plot often or less often as I choose.  With a greenhouse you have a far greater commitment to get along often, for the purpose of watering, ventilation to prevent over heating, and sometimes closing up to protect delicate plants.  I have taken on untended plots in the past and would have been less happy if I'd also faced the extra work of dismantling and removing an old greenhouse frame.

Start low and if necessary offer a bit more, but my opening would be an offer to take it away in return for tidying that part of the plot where it currently stands. 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 22:16:41 »
ok thanks for the reply.  Its a funny set up on on my site, 18 months ago the plot behind me the husband died and the widow gave up any interest, i didnt want to seem like a vulture but at the same time let it be known i was interested in buying the 10ft poly tunnel. Site management told me they wanted to encourage the widow back - few weeks later the plot was re-let to a new person who got the poly-tunnel for free,  this greenhouse is unused and glass free on a plot where the weeds are as tall as me, I think maybe £30 ?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:59:08 »
In the circumstances it seems like a very good offer.  Remember to factor in how expensive glass is  when you go to to buy it (very

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 13:04:59 »
On our council sites, all greenhouses now have to have polycarbonate panes, not glass. Even existing greenhouses have to be re-glazed. You might want to bear that in mind before buying the glass!

Like others, I'd say - offer to remove it before suggesting a price!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:09:01 »
Definitely put polycarbonate in the whole North side even if you are allowed to use glass.

It's a no brainer - it lasts forever, never breaks, costs less (though nowadays the shops 'see you coming') and on the North side the extra insulation outweighs the fact that it will never be as transparent as glass.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:45 »
Never considered not using glass so thanks for opening my eyes

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 20:25:51 »
Many years ago, a hurricane blew virtually every pane of glass out of my 8x6 greenhouse.   Most people, including my insurance company, suggested replacing with polycarbonate which I did.   I do not regret it as it is definitely warmer in winter for overwintering anything tender, easier to work with and a lot lighter.   That polycarbonate has been there for over 30 years and no problems at all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal