Author Topic: That's the Garlic up and drying.  (Read 2517 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
That's the Garlic up and drying.
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:59 »
Happy with this lot - some didn't look very promising and there are some tiny ones but overall very pleased.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Plot22

• Half Acre
Re: That's the Garlic up and drying.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:34:00 »
When did you set them? I set mine (200) the last week in October and they are still going strong with the leaves  greener than green. I only took the net off last week as I needed it for the brussels. I have to net as soon as I set because my site has Allium Leaf Miner and without netting I would loose the lot.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 13:51:56 »
Third week of October IIRC.

Some had actually gone over a bit and I saw all the rain coming in and thought they would be better off out the ground.  Took a couple and they looked good so I popped the rest out..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 16:57:53 »
Only the first one harvested here.   :sunny:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 17:09:58 »
My containerised Garlic experiment has been flattened a bit by the recent weather as you can see but I am optimistic that I will get a reasonable crop.

Having said that My Onions & Leeks have perked up a bit after all the rainwater they have had.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 21:23:45 »
great harvest nick planted my elephant garlic first week of oct they are still going strong flower spike is just shooting up so around 2 weeks to harvest i reckon  this was them back end of feb trebled in girth thick as your wrist now however well done great harvest!!
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 21:00:04 »
my elephant garlic not quiet ready yet
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 22:45:09 »
Some usable scapes there though.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:24:42 »
Been down to the plot this morning. I think that I am approximately 2/3 weeks away from harvest time.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 17:05:14 »
Wow! Not even checked mine yet. Don't think they've done so well this time  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 17:38:36 »
I planted Thermidrome which did fine and Marco which did nothing.  Planted in the same bed so cant explain.  Would really like to get 2 or 3 reliable types which removes the trial and error approach each year.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 21:38:34 »
I planted Thermidrome which did fine and Marco which did nothing.  Planted in the same bed so cant explain.  Would really like to get 2 or 3 reliable types which removes the trial and error approach each year.

They are both softnecks, so there should not have been such a difference.  Well just keep the largest cloves from the largest of your Thermidrome and ditch the Marco.  You could always get one new variety and see how that compares to the Thermidrome which does well.  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:55 »
Some usable scapes there though.

Have you tried them as scapes? I hated them - nothing like normal garlic scapes - weird almost oily overtones.

I always take the flowers home ("never say I never bring you flowers") but once the water goes cloudy they have to go out - the smell is awful. Maybe I'll try a bit of bleach this time...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal