Author Topic: Soggy Start to June. How's your allotment?  (Read 2368 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Soggy Start to June. How's your allotment?
« on: June 14, 2019, 21:01:42 »
Well it's hardly stopped raining here in Brum for a week. Over 3 inches I reckon. I haven't yet been able to get to my allotment to do some essential planting but am dreading what I will find.Might think of growing watercress, rice or keeping ducks!
How is your allotment after the deluge?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Soggy Start to June. How's your allotment?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 21:24:27 »
Mine is in perfect condition, everything really benefitted from the monsoon. In when it was not raining it was hot sunshine. Really steamy this afternoon.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 23:06:27 »
The allotment? Pretty good to be honest. 

Alas, my strawberry bed has been reduced to a muddy swamp. A great pity. It needed some rain, but the weather seems to deliver nothing but extremes lately. They don't seem to ripen well under water!

But, to be honest I'm a bit hacked off in other respects. In late May, one of my beehives was close to swarming, so I performed a split. One part of the split needs the unmated queen to fly out and liaise with the drones. High winds, and very wet weather prevents this. Hope the colony doesn't end up with an unmated queen. Only needed one calm, mild day. Fat chance!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:28:14 »
Bit of a curate's egg this year. 
Massive crop of broad beans but courgettes are sulking.
Lettuce has all bolted already but the cabbages are looking good.
Great garlic crop but the onions are riddled with leaf miner.
Toms are looking good but out door peppers are really unhappy..

So it goes..  Good and the not so good but that's usually the way!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 19:25:23 »
Moist...😬
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:46:35 »
Well I got to the allotment yesterday and it wasn't quite as bad as I feared. No standing water but the soil very wet. We have clay soil.
However the the level of weeds was phenomenal - particularly horse tail. I tidied the plot up before I went on holiday and now its a jungle! It was difficult to hoe as the soil was so wet so I am hoping it will dry out a bit so I can do some proper hoeing. Good for hand weeding though.
Everything planted or sowed seemed to be doing well and I planted some more sweetcorn, beetroot and perpetual spinach.
Lets hope its a bit drier over the next few days.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 17:03:15 »
I'm about 15 miles down the road from you and its much the same. I'm taking advantage of breaks in the wet to weed a bit and get a ew more bits planted.  The winds have been relentless too - and I need to put a coat of cuprinol on the shedthis year. I'm sure it will pick up soon though

:blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:25:55 »
I'm finding a lot of my strawberries have gone 'mushy' on the plant -when I pick them they just squash in my hand.  think it's due to too much rain?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 10:03:44 »
I'm finding a lot of my strawberries have gone 'mushy' on the plant -when I pick them they just squash in my hand.  think it's due to too much rain?

Some of mine are the same, they almost taste diluted! It’s the rain.....last year they were small and very intensely flavoured because of the drought! 🤪
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 12:05:05 »
think it's due to too much rain?

....and heat!

The temperatures have been up and down like a yo-yo and the weather generally has been a rather mixed bag since the end of March.

Dry when I would expect wet and cold when I would expect heat and vice versa!

Bl**dy British Weather..... :BangHead: :glasses9: :sunny: :toothy2:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal