Author Topic: Arum lilies  (Read 3623 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Arum lilies
« on: June 11, 2019, 22:03:01 »
I have a 2 m + long x 1 m wide x 1 m  tall stand of huge arum lilies - beautiful, until two days ago when the wind and rain wrecked it. Now the blooms and foliage lie broken every which way and are too heavy for me to do anything about. Can anyone advise please? Will the plants be permanently damaged if I get someone to cut them down low at this time of year?  Some winters they've been cut back severely because of frost damage and grown back strongly, but not this past winter - no frosts to speak of here in Torbay. The entire stand is in need of thinning out but not while in full bloom!

Today has also been very wet and windy causing even more damage! Such a shame!

Tricia   :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Arum lilies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:49:05 »
I would just cut off the damaged flower stems at the base and leave the foliage for a while.   If it starts turning yellow then cut it off and allow new shoots to grow.   Might be an idea to give a liquid feed of tomato food to encourage it or else scatter on some BF&B or pelleted chicken manure - whichever is easier.

I did this late one May after coming home to find every single rhubarb plant (11 in all) and every hosta (40 or so) had been shredded by a hailstone tornado.   They regrew the same season and were none the worse for wear.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Arum lilies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:29 »
Arum lilies need the old growth to feed the bulb for next year, let it all die back naturally, don't go cutting bits off. It is the same as daffs they grow blind for a season if cut to early. You can cut them if you think the damage is already done, but I would camouflage with other plants and leave them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal