Author Topic: proper rain  (Read 3535 times)

ACE

• Hectare
proper rain
« on: June 07, 2019, 12:50:14 »
A lovely downpour this morning, badly needed, more coming later :icon_cheers:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: proper rain
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 17:51:42 »
Storm Miguel is on his way to you I believe.  He's currently having fun in western France with oranage alerts all over the Vendée, Loire Atlantique and so on - winds up to 135kph/85mph.  We've been up to Nantes for the day and have been well blown about and rained on.   

I hope everyone in its path has got their greenhouses and polytunnels tied down.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 17:54:36 »
Yes, keep forwarding it to your north! Useful 11mm so far today, welcome to do the same all night and every 3 nights till St Swithins.Current forecast indications are that the eye is moving towards Netherlands and that (HOPEFULLY!) both Ace & I will enjoy the rain, the wind aspect is greatest along the French coast , ie on the front. But we never say never
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 18:06:46 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 18:06:43 »
Soggy here too since midday... not to windy though.
Very welcome

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 07:59:47 »
Pond level rising!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:06:24 »
Rained most of the night, wind a bit brisk, but it should not dry things out much. Now to get weeding and thinning.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:01 »
I was at Chatsworth garden show yesterday, had about half an hour of cloud then persistent rain the rest of the day, my driazabone was limp by the time I got home! Brief hiatus yesterday evening but it’s still raining now and the forecast is similar for the next week! Lottie needs it though, I was planting out on Wednesday and a newly weeded bed was bone dry to a forks depth, so it really needs the moisture. I’m glad I protected my recently planted peas and tomatoes with fine netting though, the temps have dropped at night a bit!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 08:51:18 »
Went to the plot yesterday and it absolutely chucked it down - proper soaked through to the skin.  So we grabbed our pickings and drove home - all 1.5 miles.  Got home and it was bone dry - wasn't raining, hadn't rained a drop and the sun was out.
We have had a nice bit of rain over the last few days though - much needed and the water buts are full again.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:27 »
Lovely stuff, but it can stop now for a while. Allotment suitably refreshed, things to get on with and the Isle of Wight rock festival will be a sea of mud.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:51 »
even here on the sunshine coast today the sun has relented steady rain since 7am for us its biblical proportions at this time of year next week however the forecast seems to suggest a return to more seasonal weather
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 12:47:51 »
a return to more seasonal weather

What is that these days?

Instead of "spring" what should we call the period March- May?

Where has the term "March Winds and April showers etc. gone"?

Yesterday we got both of these in one day instead of " flaming June" :sunny:

Now that I am carrying out more ' container growing' than before I am finding that most of my containers are waterlogged so it is an all new ball game for me e.g last year everything dried out and this year I am waterlogged. I put a lot of this down to the composts available these days I don't think the producers have got their recipes quite right yet,fingers crossed they do soon!

I have just been down to the builders merchants this morning and bought a bag of sharp/river sand to see if I can improve the texture of my compost so that it is better aerated and subsequently less likely to get waterlogged.

OK I am trying something new so I am on a big learning curve but it would seem plant suppliers are having similar problems. I base this on the root ball of the many plants  I have bought recently! I often find that when I remove them from the pot the roots are often in what I would describe as ' mud'

Enough of the moaning I must say all this is keeping me on my toes and I am in fact enjoying my gardening again and I haven't missed my visits to my allotments  ( something I thought I might do)

With the  converting  of my garden to part edible and part ornamental (hence the new plants) I am finding that I am pretty much ' fully occupied' which to my mind  can only be a good thing!

So carry on with the good work guys, I am still enjoying my visits to A4A and I am trying not to be too envious of those early crops that are starting to appear in the articles, perhaps when I complete my new apprenticeship I too will be in a position like yourselves!.............now time for a  :coffee2: love this retirement game! :icon_cheers:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 19:50:36 »
Yay - Proper rain today!
Boo - It's raining indoors as the roof is leaking!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 22:17:52 »
32.3mm so far today, just 1 3/4 hours left for more! 49.1mm for June so far, compared with just 3mm in June last year.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 07:43:18 »
Yay - Proper rain today!
Boo - It's raining indoors as the roof is leaking!

Oh no!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 09:41:38 »
I was enjoying the opportunity to tell the southerners I know what a beautiful sunny day we were having up here yesterday. It's still sunny today but quite windy and it looks like we're getting the rain tomorrow and Thursday, which will be good for the garden if not for me!

TeeGee , let us know the results of your experiments. I'm gardening on clay for the first time and am quite confused by the advice I've read online, e.g. don't plant when the soil is wet- surely it's not good if it's dry either!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 14:42:47 »
I'm gardening on clay for the first time and am quite confused by the advice I've read online, e.g. don't plant when the soil is wet- surely it's not good if it's dry either!
From my experiences on Wealden Clay previously and now, London Clay, I would say its not planting when wet but walking on it that's problematical.Because clay is made of really fine particals, it benefits from the introduction of coarser sands or grits, and organic material to create some openness. If you can create beds which are possible to work from the path edges,hence avoiding compressing the soil, then you will get the best result.Most clays are basically fertile,rich in minerals but need drainage.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 15:27:30 »
I was on the plots when the rain arrived today, so thought I'd tidy up the shed whilst waiting, hoping it would stop in a bit!
Bad move as it just got worse, and worse, by the time it eased off a bit, enough for me to walk home, the footpath was flooded up to my ankles and the water was running downhill like it was a stream. Just thawing out now with a cuppa-soup  :coffee2:
Don't think I'll need to water anything for a while after that lot!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:46 »
I sorted out the lottie greenhouse yesterday, couldn't do much else as it just rained steadily.....same this morning. I can see little weeds everywhere but no way a hoe can be used on them yet! Fed up!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 11:58:25 »
I blame the local Download festival, it always rains! Apparently it's flooded ( friends setting up the show day it's the worst they have seen this year) and a sea of mud there already and people are only being let on site today.......oh dear, glad I'm not going this year!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:20 »
The same here. Rock festival starts today and it will be a sea of mud. Over 100,000 people paddling around in a field. Monsoon last night and today for a solid 18 hours and more to come. But on the bright side the peas are bursting their pods and the beans have reached to top of the poles, maincrop potatoes should benefit but the first earlies are poor, but that might have been my choice, Red Duke of York which are nothing like the description given and I can only think that the seed sold as was not the right ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal