Author Topic: proper rain  (Read 3643 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: proper rain
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 22:33:14 »
Good grief!

Well we certainly needed some rain hereabouts. It was a pretty dry spring and apart from a damp week in early May, no great quantities since the end of March.

But, really, did it all have to arrive at once? On Wednesday my strawberry bed had been transformed into a swamp. Since then another 24 hours of heavy rain and at times very heavy rain. Strawberries don't ripen well under an inch of mud!

Certainly not all bad news. Actually I think most vegetables will not be badly affected - root crops especially. My celeriac are looking superb. The drop in temperatures has paused the previous rapid growth of squashes and courgettes but I'm sure they'll recover.  Onions, beans and brassicas not seriously affected. Just a bit sad to to have the tastiest fruit damaged.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 19:26:50 »
We’ve just had two inches of rain plus hail fall in 20 minutes...   😳
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 21:52:45 »
Its been rubbish this week and so cold but things are going well so cant grumple i want to sew more carrots and parsnips but we have another wet week ahead (warm though) so might risk it. I have been out filling everything i can with rain water as i know this will eventually stop and i will need to water stored

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal