Author Topic: You would think she would be happy  (Read 2259 times)

ACE

• Hectare
You would think she would be happy
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:04 »
There you are toiling away, doing your bit in reducing food miles and the last thing you expect when you arrive home with a bag of fresh veg is being greeted with 'That had better not be bloody broad beans again' Luckily I also had some fresh peas in the bag as well. I was looking forwards to the first courgettes coming…... ♬ There may be trouble ahead♬

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: You would think she would be happy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 20:50:19 »
Thats not too bad, I get "why did you bring salad?, I've got TESCO to deliver and theirs is already washed"
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

pumkinlover

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:17:27 »
I wish we could all vote Green. But the one thing that stops me is the Green Brighton Council wanted to raise the allotment rents by two thirds.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 15:10:19 »
Well I had to:

first dig the ground,
then sow,
then water and weed,
then harvest,
then wash,
then cut up and cook

............... but I do mostly get compliments in the end.    :tongue3:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:03:52 »
Two buckets full of broadies today, you should have seen her face. A bribe to the grandchildren and they are all podded, blanched and in the freezer. Still loads to come yet.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 14:39:29 »
Happen she needs a couple of new cookery books then Ace - new ways with seasonal harvests, if such a thing exists.

I remember having a visit form the in-laws about 30 years ago.  Turns out they'd been eating watery, over-cooked courgettes and marrows for weeks so were less than thrilled when I told them our starter was made with homegrown courgettes.  I picked ours young and made a twice baked soufflé ring with them.  More please!

Haven't tried broad beans here yet cos I can't get the seeds in local shops.  However, I can buy them frozen and either whole or skinned so I'm not sure I see the point of growing them now.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:33:29 »
We had broad beans in a stir fry last night.
Lovely they were too but I may have planted a few too many this year.  Still they make a great ham and pea soup and OH loves as much as I do.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:13 »
Last crop of broadies for the freezer today and all the plants cut up fine and layered in a dalek sprayed with jeyes. Rust got them but it was nearing the end of the crop, they can stay in there till the autumn then they will be checked if not rotted enough they will go on the bonfire.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 13:41:46 »
Mine are absolutely mullered by blackfly.  Pinched off the tops and tried hosing them off but I'm still a little knackered and can't quite get down as much as I would like.  Still got a great crop but a bit fed up of them now - the rest can go in the freezer..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 20:45:05 »
Finding a pack of broadies in February is a good thing, a very good thing indeed.  I found two packets that I had stashed as low down as I could in our substantial chest freezer to make sure they would not be easily found.  When I did find them, we were delighted.  They freeze well.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal