Author Topic: Peas - a problem this year  (Read 4071 times)

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
Peas - a problem this year
« on: May 31, 2019, 16:41:19 »
This year I have planted my peas three times:  Soaked in white spirit and planted under cloches - they were still eaten by mice.  Soaked in paraffin - the same.  Grown as seedlings and planted out, the tops were taken off them by, I suspect, chickens from the neighbouring farm.  I am now considering planting seeds under cloches again but with a sprinkling of commercial  poisoned bait on the surface, plus pepper dust as a belt-and-braces measure.  Any further thoughts?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Peas - a problem this year
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 17:17:45 »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 23:42:56 »
I also pregrow, then transplant.  However my voles like to bite off fully grown pea and bean plants, so I have to use bottles over them to prevent that, especially with precious peas. 

This is the only way to prevent trouble with peas here.  :wave:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 23:46:51 by galina »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:59:42 »
Sadly, I gave up on peas. I decided that they are far too much hassle for the returns I got.  Just no good at it on our site.  I now grow peas shoots in trays and add them to salads when they get to about 3 inches tall.   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 11:52:53 »
I have to use bottles over them

Glad to see you recycling plastic, but what do you do with the bottles when the peas outgrow them? :icon_scratch:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 12:18:44 »
I don't seem to have problems with voles or mice. Start in pots then plant out. lay netting on for a few days. A few others on the plots have had the vole problem, even doing what I have done, then somebody realised I had a sonic mole scaring thing, so he got one and his peas are alright now. Might be coincidence but worth a try.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 22:04:44 »
I have to use bottles over them

Glad to see you recycling plastic, but what do you do with the bottles when the peas outgrow them? :icon_scratch:

I grow all tall varieties.  The peas grow out through the top of the bottles and the bottles stay on all season.  When the peas are straw,the plants get composted and the bottles get stacked and stored in a wire mesh bin to be used the following year. 

Some of mine must have done 10 years by now.  When they get really bad, I put them in the recycling.  These days we don't get that many bottles as the kids have left.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 22:31:30 »
The peas grow out through the top of the bottles and the bottles stay on

Peas with gaiters that's a new one on me but why not? ....well done you!  And no slug damage either :sign17: :hello2: like it!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 11:33:32 »
Off topic, but I grow all my sweet corn and celeriac through 2 litre bottles (tops and bottoms cut off). Keeps the slugs and snails off the new plantings and is easy to water - just fill each bottle!

Tricia :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 18:53:24 »
I've also been using cut up pop bottles to protect most of my young plants for about 13 years now, still using the same ones! Sweetcorn and sunflowers and beans stay on all the time, smaller stuff such as lettuces and dahlias they come off once they are big enough to fend off the slugs. My sweet peas I drape with curtains of netting until the frosts are well over and they are climbing well, otherwise the birds can't resist them!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 19:50:33 »
These were the only bottles I used, and these were only for Pumpkin & Courgette young plants.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 09:33:25 »
Would love those TeeGee, unfortunately they are difficult to get.  I found one once by the side of the road after a storm and love it.  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 12:17:58 »
In the Canaries 8L bottles of water are available - cheaper water than 5L ones - after occasional visits I now have 5 - they take up no space in your bag - really! (because you cut the bottom off and fill them with small clothes etc.). I tend to leave the flat bottom hinged on one side - handy at the plot to put a brick on, if you bend them outwards first.

I find that even a 5L one (bought here) is enough to help a newly planted courgette through a week or two of those nights in May when you can't guarantee there will be no frost at all.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 06:44:19 »
They are great for the early potato plants in pots in the green house. I found 4 or 5 put out for the bin/ recycling when I was at work once.
Also about 5 big plant pots from someone having an "instant hedge" planted. Having a job where you drive round was useful at times.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 10:46:11 »
Agree i planted 4 packets (one new) and planted in various ways including one sucessful for my sweet peas and nothing !! I had abandoned the whole thing but at open farm day i picked up 6 pea plants which look strong so there planted up.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 14:32:50 »
I am having a good year on peas. I only grow Hurst Greenshaft as I find them easier to pod than the likes of Onward and I buy a kilo of seed plus saving some of my own which can give me about 3 rows. I chit all my seeds so as the mice do not bother them. I set them thickly in a 4" row . Non of this fluffing about 2" between each plant. I learnt from my late dad in this respect and because of the closeness of the plants they help to smother the weeds.
I aim to have them all harvested by mid/late July to avoid the pea moth. Some of mine have set already and I would hope to be picking in the next couple of weeks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal