Author Topic: First of the season  (Read 3110 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
First of the season
« on: May 27, 2019, 19:00:13 »
 :tongue3:  It won't be long before my "Help yourself" stand goes out on my driveway, but I shall enjoy this first one, a Parthenon, with my supper tonight  :icon_cheers:.

Tricia  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: First of the season
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 19:37:01 »
Goodness, this is very early.  Enjoy Tricia  :wave:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 21:07:22 »
wow looks huge already !

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:15:34 »
Parthenon are hugely prolific!  First year for ages that I am not growing them..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 16:58:44 »
Well done, not even planted mine out yet...  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 21:13:23 »
well done to you!! this was my harvest today its courgettes tomorrow
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 16:30:21 »
I ate my first tomato last night. Shame it didn't taste of anything, serve me right for trying Alicante again.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 19:26:22 »
I ate my first tomato last night. Shame it didn't taste of anything, serve me right for trying Alicante again.
well done to you small not sure what part of the country you are but here on the sunshine coast they are one of the favorites however i think its our long hot dry summers they need to get the best flavour i grew sweet millions one year the early  to ripen ones tasted of nothing come september it was if they had come from a different plant the taste was totally different i never water my tomatoes as i grow them all outside only feed once a month so try them later in the season when the temp rises and you get a better tasting tom hope this helps but still well done !!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 10:27:00 »
Anyone who isn't afraid of too much flavour in a tomato should try Piccolo from the supermarket - it has a distinct taste that even now is still there, even - just - in the ones from the Netherlands (avoid). The ones from Kent are terrific - they are using LED growlights now and get the full summer flavour.

They are a bit pricey at £7 a kilo but well worth it to wake up the taste buds to the fact that summer is already here - and for £1.50 you get the cheapest packet of speciality seeds you've ever had. They grow bigger areas than any seed company so there is literally no chance of a cross - they always come true.

If you sow them now (especially under glass) you will get a small crop this year to test what I've said, and still have the equivalent of 3 or 4 packets for next year (over £10 worth at T&M prices).

Incidentally, you don't need to do anything fancy to get immediate germination, just rub say 10 fresh seeds individually on paper towel until all the jelly is off and sow straight away in small pots in good heat - most will come up in a week -  AND always pot them on while they still look too small for the pot they are in, and plant as soon as they flower.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 14:27:02 »
todays little lot spring onions courgettes anya spuds and calabrese and its blowing a hooli here atm

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 19:21:47 »
well done to you small not sure what part of the country you are but here on the sunshine coast they are one of the favorites however i think its our long hot dry summers they need to get the best flavour i grew sweet millions one year the early  to ripen ones tasted of nothing come september it was if they had come from a different plant the taste was totally different i never water my tomatoes as i grow them all outside only feed once a month so try them later in the season when the temp rises and you get a better tasting tom hope this helps but still well done !!
They seem to taste better grown outside and the skins not so tough

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 12:42:43 »
first sweet pepper today black knight is the variety and i must say it is very black

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 06:39:54 »
first sweet pepper today black knight is the variety and i must say it is very black

Now that has to be the "Sunshine coast effect"!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 22:23:02 »
Interested to learn whether its 'overwintered', raised indoors or bought 'when a pup'?
Well done ,even if you are 'almost in Holland'!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 10:15:36 »
I have a few flowers on my peppers here in Derbyshire....I was quite impressed with that tbh!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 09:43:21 »
Interested to learn whether its 'overwintered', raised indoors or bought 'when a pup'?
Well done ,even if you are 'almost in Holland'!!
raised from seed windowsill prop no heat sowed end of feb cool bedroom  ive had around 6 to harvest this week the other varieties are just in flower apert from a red bell pepper  which has small fruit but still to ripen all i can say is this black knight its a T&M variety out of there 99p range and its the earliest bulls horn ive ever had nice flavour but thin walls but fresh peppers early june i can live with that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal