Author Topic: Life after an Allotment  (Read 1406 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Life after an Allotment
« on: May 21, 2019, 13:58:21 »
Well I have been quite busy over the last few months converting my garden into a more 'edible' version of what it was before so had a walk around it this morning with my camera in hand so join me as I look over the changes;

Pic 1=The entrance into my back garden;

Pic 2 = Some new Lewisia I purchased for my baskets

Pic3 = New Phlox paniculata I have purchased and Hibiscus I have sown from collected seeds. Plan on planting these out in the autumn.

Pic 4 = The Rockery with a Clematis montana in full bloom.

Pic 6 = View across the garden from my sitting area.

Pic 8 = My mini allotment with a dozen Sweet Corn at the back, Chrysanthemums bordering the footpath plus 2 containers of Onions and 1 of Leeks on a raised shelf*

* The shelf doubles up as a bench in my 8x6 greenhouse in the winter!

Pic 10 = What was previously my herbaceous bed.

As you can see I have 2 Apple trees, 1 Pear tree and 1 Plum tree against the fence.

Beneath these, I have planted out a dozen Brussel Sprouts.

To the front of these, I have planted around a couple of dozen Gladioli in a chevron pattern and in the vees, I have planted a Sweet Pepper plant ( 6 in all)

In the next row, I have alternate Alstroemeria and Achillea plants where I plan on planting out some Beetroot as I think the leaves will complement the flowers and give me something to eat as well!

In front of these I plan on growing some Carrots as here again I think the ferny tops will complement the flowers.

In the front row, I have potted Strawberry plants in sunken pots where, when the strawberries are finished, I will remove the potted strawberries and replace them with Potted Geraniums.

I will move the Strawberry plants to the growing-on area (Pic 12) and take runners.

Pic 9 = At the top end of the Herbaceous border, I have planted Sweet Peas to hide the bare trunk of my Ornamental Cherry tree and behind that, I have some Rhubarb I brought up from the allotment!

At the other end of the herbaceous border, I have transplanted a Red Gooseberry bush and a  Blueberry bush I brought up from the allotment, so now you can see that my Herbaceous border is still relatively "Ornamental" but there is also quite to a few things that I can eat. So fingers crossed all will go to plan.

Pic 11 =  Here I have my 8' x 6' which I have crammed full, but hopefully not too full that the crops within will suffer.

The layout is as follows; to the left is 11 Sweet Pepper Plants, at the back is 5 Climbing French bean (Cobra) and to the front of these 4 cucumbers (Passandra) To the right I have 9 Tomato plants and a Trough/Planter containing Carrots (Sweet Candle).

....and that concludes our walk around the back garden.

The front garden (Pics 13-14-15) is still a "garden in progress" as much of the stuff I had in the back garden prior to the changes have been transplanted in the front!

....and that folks is the state of play of my ornamental/edible garden.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Life after an Allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 22:59:58 »
You are a legend, Tee Gee!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:47:18 »
Very impressed! That's one amazing garden!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 18:15:11 »
Looks absolutely fabulous Tee Gee
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 18:53:14 »
looks great  well done !! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:11 »
How on earth did you ever have time to have a large allotment as well?!  That is one beautiful and productive garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal