Author Topic: free compost bin  (Read 3949 times)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
free compost bin
« on: April 02, 2005, 20:20:52 »
don't know if anyone has seen this but anyway
http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm
it's only available in lancashire :(, but if you do live in lancs and request a bin you can have upto three!!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: free compost bin
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 20:30:10 »
I got a free darlek type bin last year via Enfield Council.  It seems a bit hit and miss but hopefully all local authorities will catch on soon.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 21:09:53 »
Up here in falkirk we've just been offered any three of the following:-

220 litre   £3  Dalek type
330 litre   £5  Dalek type
800 Litre  £20  big fat beast with hinged walls so you can open it at the front...

Any suggestions of what I should go for?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 21:41:13 »
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

;D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 22:58:20 »
The little dalek ones at £5.00 are really good.  I;ve got three now and they are the ones which heat up fastest and give the quickest results.  I think it's cos they're titchy.  Small is beautiful  :)  I have got one of the 660 litre ones just to compare.  I've filled that with manure which I hope will rot down to make potting and growbag compost.  Well that's the plan.  I think I might order some more of the £5 bins so I can get some sort of rotation going.  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 16:57:55 »
I've got two at the moment but they're both full.  I'm filling them quicker than they break them down.  I think I'll buy another couple so I can get a real bit o' composting on the go!!  May even fill the new one with pure manure - see what that turns out like...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 23:10:22 »
Quinny    I'm doing the pure manure thing as I want to try and make potting compost

I have filled two plastic bins with cow and horse manure (mixed up)   I've been told to water it every time I go to the plot to stop it going hard (it's hard to start with) and to speed up the rotting process

You finish up with a grow bag type product (I wish)  Oh well, nothing ventured   .....  I have got plenty so why not?
I came, I saw, I composted

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 23:39:43 »
we can have 3 dalek ones per house hold for FREE

so thats 3 from ours 3 from my mums 3 from the inlaws 3 from everybody i know  ;D ;D ;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 00:19:17 »
I put my name down for a large dalek today, I already have one on the allotment. I didn`t dare ask for more  :-[  Norwich city council were giving them away to city residents in the Forum. County residents can get them at a subsidised rate. I also got free wildflower seeds from the BBC.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 06:37:30 »
http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm

This post by "gingerninja38" is actually a good source of information about composting.

So dont just think it is a place to get a bin, or just for us Lancastrians.

There is a lot of advice. Being new to all this I have found it very useful.

Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 06:58:48 »
Just an update to this posting

I have phoned my order and when I dialed there are options for different areas NOT JUST LANCASHIRE!!!.
I dont know what the other areas are offering but it must be worth a phone call to find out if your area is there and what is available.

Phone number  0845 658 8550

Thanks again "gingerninja38"

Sorry to hijack your post but thought it was worth adding

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal