Author Topic: It's that time of year again  (Read 3120 times)

small

• Hectare
It's that time of year again
« on: May 19, 2019, 15:20:55 »
I've had a wonderful asparagus crop this year, been picking since early April, and today, lo and behold there are the beastly asparagus beetles, I must have squished 50 or more. So the twice daily patrols will start....

pumkinlover

Re: It's that time of year again
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:13 »
Ugh nearly as bad as Lily beetle but that's a double ugh with the grubs!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:05:22 »
Oh Crikey!  I've just planted some asparagus.  Did not know about asparagus beetles.   What do I need to do to keep them safe?  Netting?  Constant vigilance?
Obxx - Vendée France

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 15:21:41 »
I don't know if there's any chemical that works, I don't use anything like that. There are three signs, the beetles themselves which are small, spotty, jump like kangaroos, and are really hard-cased (fingernail to squish, not just finger), the black eggs, which they glue to the stem, a bad attack can look like a tiny bottle brush, and if you miss those you will have revolting grubs, rather like tiny slugs.
Apparently they overwinter in the soil at the base of the plants, though I've never seen them even though I try to keep the bed really tidy. If you don't spot them, the grubs will turn your asparagus fern to asparagus lace!
I check the bed twice a day from the first sign until the fern starts to yellow....

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 13:58:24 »
Also been present here in South Derbyshire for a couple of weeks.  Spent quite some time yesterday squashing adults and eggs of both varieties. 

Did spot what looked like tiny wasps around a number of spears where the beetles were present.  Some kind of parasitic wasp?  Hope so.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:01:32 »
The beetles drop off before you can grab them.

Cup one hand under their perch (they often move to the opposite side of the shoot before you get there) and threaten them with the other - it's pleasanter to use a plastic cup, you can get a few before they start to jump - I really must try putting a bit of soapy water in the cup to stop that.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 17:15:02 »
The beetles seem to have gone now, so it's just a case of making sure any eggs that hatch are dealt with before they do much damage.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 15:25:43 »
I must have missed some, I'm finding disgusting grubs now, they are even worse to squish....

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 20:04:03 »
I think we may see some more beetles as well now it is sunny and warm, it always brings out the lily beetles.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 14:54:41 »
I've always left a few spears on each plant till they yellow, as per the books, but I wonder what would actually happen if I cut them all back now? I'd put up with a lesser crop next year if it meant the beetles all died off....

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 19:50:32 »
Wouldn't work... they seed willingly so there will be some host plants in the vicinity... even if only grown for foliage for sweet peas.
Spent some time squishing grubs but not sen any more beetles.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal