Author Topic: Net Gooseberry Standard  (Read 1551 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Net Gooseberry Standard
« on: May 15, 2019, 20:01:04 »
I have a Gooseberry Standard on my patio and last year it gave plenty of fruit to the pigeons.
It looks a bit like the ones in this article.
https://herbidacious.calamus.graphics/2010/05/11/standard-gooseberries/

How do I net it?  Can I just drape the net over it and tie it at the base?  Would this damage it?  Any better ideas?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Net Gooseberry Standard
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:01:28 »
I am surprised that it is pigeons which attack your gooseberry.  Mine never have.  Blackbirds on the other hand are always trying to steal the fruit before I get to it. 

When blackbirds get interested, the gooseberries are sweetening up and it is time to harvest or very nearly so.  But until I am ready, I put sticks with old CDs on strings around the gooseberry bush.  The reflections and the movement in any breeze frighten them off.  This also works with pigeons, who are interested in my peas rather than gooseberries.  Rattly and shiny things put them off too. 

Netting fruit bushes is the usual recommended way and it certainly does not harm them.  In any case, the netting is only on for a short amount of time.  The downside is that birds can get caught up in netting.  Also fixing the netting is a prickly job, but so is harvesting. 

I would say netting is the conventional way to go, but shiny and rattling deterrents work well for me too.   :wave:

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 07:22:09 »
I echo galina's advice.  I also use old CDs but add plastic bottles upside down on canes and children's windmills which my wife gets from pound shops.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:57:11 »
I net my gooseberries although they are not standard. I'v e not tried the shiny, rarttling approach.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 08:06:16 »
I echo galina's advice.  I also use old CDs but add plastic bottles upside down on canes and children's windmills which my wife gets from pound shops.

I have tried the CDs in the past but no luck.  With the other gooseberries we put the netting on canes.
BTW one bush we covered last week and the wind blew off the netting and we lost the whole crop!  Fortunately we have some others

I think it is pigeons as I have seen them on them.  I tried putting catnip nearby to recruit cats to help but no good.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 21:54:04 »
As a suggestion, how about a surplus (lost property ?)Umbrella strapped to a stake, as a centre support above the standard to 'float ' a suitable net. From the centre pin, radial strings ,as if guy ropes, according to the diameter to be protected.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 11:00:01 »
The classic approach is an oversized net supported by friction free-posts - ie. glass bottles & jars on a ring of canes taller than the bush.

Plastic bottles work too but the friction tends to displace the canes more when it's windy.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal