Author Topic: Small Frog Pond - How?  (Read 3137 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Small Frog Pond - How?
« on: April 04, 2005, 16:00:33 »
Originally posted on Pests and Diseases - now realise that this was probably the wrong board due to lack of response. :(

I am planning on putting a small pond on my lottie to raise an army of froglets to tackle beasties in my absence.  The question is how small is small (including how deep when I want some shallow bits for the birds as well, and maybe a small area of bog).  I have half of a large plot and do not want to give over too much space to the pond but do want to raise my army.

Also how deep should the deepest bit be to stop it freezing in winter.

And..and..as I have brambles nearby, could I lay down a dry mix of cement, them lay my sand on this and then my pond liner?  Or is there a better way of keeping vicious perennial roots at bay?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

trucker_al

• Not So New ...
  • doh not again?
Re: Small Frog Pond - How?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 21:05:55 »
We have a pond that is only 2ft by 6ft and 2ft deep at the deepest end and this seems OK for all the frogs around us we took out 60ish this year as they were trying to mate with our fish. I think you will find this size more that enough for your plot and it doesn't freeze up in winter as for brambles i have not got any idea how to stop them we just put old carpet in then our liner.
a good friend is one with the shovel in his hand not the beer :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 21:30:51 »
Thanks - yes mine is going to be about the same size and depth - I am also going to have a small area of bog.  I like the sound of the carpet idea.  Hang one, Ill just pop through to the lounge... ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 22:32:56 »
I would agree with the depth of 2' AND the carpet. 

That's what I did when I put a pond in my garden.  Of course when I dug the hole (having hurriedly read the Hessayon book on rock gardens and water features) I made it with a marginal shelf for, er - marginals.  When I realised the frogs had to get OUT again, I made it easier for them with a slope of pebbles and rocks. 

You won't necessarily need a marginal shelf, although the frogs in my garden like to spawn amongst the iris plants and in the Summer they all seem to enjoy sunbathing in the baskets that the iris plants are bedded into.

Have fun!

Art

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 22:51:35 »
Hi,

I suspect 2 foot may be pushing it in really cold weather (which to be fair is thankfully very rare these days) If you could get down as far as 3 foot in perhaps just one corner it would pretty much guarantee that even in the severest frosts the pond wouldn't totally freeze.

Tony

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal