Author Topic: tips needed  (Read 1619 times)

ACE

• Hectare
tips needed
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:19:19 »
I have been travelling for a week, meanwhile all the beans have been in the poly with the automatic watering system working well. Also in there were the courgettes and butternuts. The courgettes have germinated but the butternuts are nowhere to be seen. They always seem to have to be difficult to get going. How do you do it?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: tips needed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 07:52:51 »
I use a cheapie heated propagator from Aldi bought many years ago. 

As soon as they are up, they go into the conservatory.  Pretty much like sowing peppers and tomatoes, they all like to germinate with a bit of warmth.  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:00:20 »
I planted a load of squash and the butternuts were the first ones up - the rest seem to have rotted off - Pot of Gold, Blue Kiri and a few other produced nowt.  Mine are just in a warmish room..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 13:47:39 »
Cover the pots with cling film and put in a warm window - remove the cling film when they appear.

I did this with my pumpkins this year - and they were up within 5 or 6 days.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 15:50:28 »
cold greenhouse sowed early april plastic prop lid around 95%  wilco butterfly a tray of my own seed  and a tray of thompson and morgan which the name escapes me atm
 t&m tray i did drop 2 weeks into seeding popped them back as best i could thought i only had 40% germination but thought i did drop them at a crucial stage however pots had two three and a couple with four in   so i didn't repot them as good as i thought 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 16:28:36 »
Moved them to the top shelf in the poly into full sun and away they went, mind you it is very hot and humid in there at the moment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal