Author Topic: Collard Greens  (Read 1759 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Collard Greens
« on: May 11, 2023, 10:33:54 »
Is it too late to grow collard greens? I've always been a lover of brassicas and these seem to be a king of "Spring Greens" that are sold in the supermarkets.

Are the difficult to grow - or just treat them like cabbage?

When is best to sow seeds and plant out?

We struggle with club root most of  the time. Thompson & Morgan have seed. 
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Collard Greens
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 11:53:34 »
Just treat like cabbage, they are just a non-heading cabbage. Put some lime in the planting hole... to help with club root.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 14:41:47 »
I more or less agree with Saddad, but I prefer to encircle the plants with lime rather than placing it in the hole.

My reasoning is that if you place it in the hole the lime is washed down deeper into the soil whereas placing it around the top of the plant means as the new roots spread sideways, they spread into lime treated soil.

Another benefit I found was that slugs & snails did not tend to slide across it. Perhaps the slaked lime burns their bellies.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 13:12:47 »
Thanks for that. I'll  give them a go. Thanks Saddad and Tee Gee, it sounds like they're  not too hard to do. XX  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:45 »
I'm always astonished by the variety of brassicas.  Cabbage, cauliflower, sprouter, Brussels, collard greens, kale, kohl rabi and even turnips. All derived from the same basic plant that shows a weird ability to store energy in almost every part from swollen roots, stems, leaves, flowers, buds, etc.  Truly remarkable.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 14:14:57 »
Swollen stems, turnip, swede, Kohl Rabi yes but not any swollen roots that I know of, but yes they are astonishing vegetables.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal