Author Topic: Any Advice for Clearing My Badly Overgrown Plot.  (Read 8660 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Any Advice for Clearing My Badly Overgrown Plot.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2023, 10:28:02 »
WHen we took over our plot it was a jungle.  Babies heads, Dandelions, blackberries, bindweed and couch grass. The grass was about 30 cm high. We worked on a set amount of area per visit.  Strimmed, dug out deep rooted stuff: - blackberries, dandelions, bindweed, docks, thistles etc, cleared top surface grass with a spade - and began to dig, clearing couch grass as we went.  Once we'd managed to clear a few meters of space we tested soil, put in some blood fish & bone (we had nothing else) and planted a few onions and potatoes.  We managed to clear half the plot in hte first season clearing, digging and planting as we went.   I hope you get some area cleared, there is lots you can put in right now.  Very bestest and good luck x  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2023, 11:17:21 »
WHen we took over our plot it was a jungle.  Babies heads, Dandelions, blackberries, bindweed and couch grass. The grass was about 30 cm high. We worked on a set amount of area per visit.  Strimmed, dug out deep rooted stuff: - blackberries, dandelions, bindweed, docks, thistles etc, cleared top surface grass with a spade - and began to dig, clearing couch grass as we went.  Once we'd managed to clear a few meters of space we tested soil, put in some blood fish & bone (we had nothing else) and planted a few onions and potatoes.  We managed to clear half the plot in hte first season clearing, digging and planting as we went.   I hope you get some area cleared, there is lots you can put in right now.  Very bestest and good luck x  :blob7:
Thanks.
Indeed my approach is to take it bit by bit. Clear, sow, clear more, sow more: Pace myself and sow regardless of the odd bit of weed. Then let them fight it out. Spuds look like they know how to compete. :happy7: Even the strawberries are up for a fight and can out-weed some of the weeds.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2023, 16:45:49 »
Clear, sow, clear more, sow more

Don't you have any facilities to sow seeds at home?

This way they can be growing on when you are clearing!

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2023, 18:44:56 »
I use the term 'sow' loosely, to include planting out. Sorry.
Yes. My kitchen windowsill is constantly full of germinating seeds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal