Author Topic: Hail  (Read 1471 times)

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Hail
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:50 »
Just had a a 5 minute hail shower, in May, in Cornwall. Larger leaves on runner beans look a bit sort of shredded and a bit brown after two overnight frosts. Weather driving me nuts, goes from sit out sunshine to winter in a day. Spend all my time covering for frost, then watering because too dry, now HAIL.  BBC website still says light rain showers and a moderate breeze.

Why do we do it!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:25:04 by Redalder »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Hail
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 12:42:38 »
I once came home from a 3 day trip in May to find my garden had been shredded by a hailstone tornado.   The rhubarb patch looked like it had been nuked; the hostas in the ground and in pots were lace; soft new foliage on shrubs and trees was shredded; blossom on currants wiped off; the climbing roses and many shrubs had pitted wounds on their stems which became scars and all my baby squash, courgettes, peas, beans and tomatoes were wiped out and I had to go and buy replacements.

I hope you have time to sow more beans, just in case.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 13:15:53 »
I know the feeling well, in fact, your experience reminds me of an incident a number years back when I had a similar experience on the 2nd of June of that year.

I was planting out my Dahlias and I had laid them all out on their side rather than have them toppling over on the own accord and snapping the stems.

I did not quite get all my plants planted by lunchtime so I just left them lying as they were until I returned.

While I was away having my lunch a heavy hail storm occurred and decimated all of my Dahlias.

This was the scene: Picture yourself cutting up veg on a chopping board where you cut the stems into small pieces, that's how the Dahlia plants laid on their side were, added to that; the Dahlias I had planted out were all deleafed.

I don't mind telling you, I cried! Was it any wonder?  There was three or four months work ruined in a few minutes, plus I had visions of not entering any shows that year.

As it turned out the guys in our Dahlia Society rallied round and gave me some new stock.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 13:21:24 »
I can remember going out for the day into Buxton in Derbyshire and it SNOWED. July! TV  had images of Lancs v Derby Cricket match with the pitch covered in snow.
Also, when we lived in Minehead we were playing table tennis in the Games room during a hail storm and the ball went out of a window and you could not tell which was it and which was hail. The local Chemists all ran out of dressings for the number of people injured. Many cars were left dented by the hail. When the hail melted everywhere was covered in Saharan sand. That must have been at holiday time as our Hotel was open.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 13:25:12 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 13:30:40 »
Just had a a 5 minute hail shower, in May, in Cornwall. Larger leaves on runner beans look a bit sort of shredded and a bit brown after two overnight frosts. Weather driving me nuts, goes from sit out sunshine to winter in a day. Spend all my time covering for frost, then watering because too dry, now HAIL.  BBC website still says light rain showers and a moderate breeze.

Why do we do it!
just a bit off thread its a bit early for runners ain't it even here on the sunshine coast i won't put mine out until next week 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 13:56:36 »
i won't put mine out until next week

End of May was my planting out date, although saying that I planted out a half dozen climbing french beans (Cobra) in my 8 x 6 greenhouse this morning!

Took the risk with my Tomatoes & Peppers as well.....so fingers crossed  (Fleece at the ready)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:33:50 »
Like Palustris, I've known snow in July... when I lived in the Lancashire Pennines... this years hot April and cold May is certainly causing confusion..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal